Conejos Peak

Conejos Peak is a 7.1 mile loop trail located near La Jara, CO and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from June until August. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

High elevation lake, panoramic mountain views, alpine terrain Here's my caveat, when I set out to hike this peak I didn't have the best map, therefore, I ended up getting on a different trail than expected whereby I came up the backside of the summit. Once I crested the ridge after climbing out of the bowl, I did bushwack a bit until I was below the summit where I picked up the trail again. My map shows the hike in "broad brush strokes." There were several trail junctions below in the forest that threw me off. From the side I hiked, there are 2 ways to the summit, clockwise and counter-clockwise. You can either start where I did (see trailhead description) or start from the Tabacco Lake Trailhead. The most popular to the summit way is via Tabacco Lake. Once at the lake, just veer around the left side and basical go cross country until you come up the ridge. Conejos Peak is to your left and it's the high point on the ridge. Once you start hiking on the ridge you'll eventually run into a trail that'll take you to the top.

We only made it to tobacco lake. With the threat of a thunderstorm and some rain and hail, we decided to turn around. The views the whole way up were beautiful!

fly fishing

The hike to Tobacco Lake wasn't too bad. Saw deer and elk along the way. Awesome views and some decent snow banks still piled up (late June). The fishing in the lake wasn't so good. Saw Cut Throat but only managed to catch one. The continued hike to Conejos was much more challenging. The views from the top are a wonderful reward. Will make this hike again for sure.