Columbine Lake Trail

Columbine Lake Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tabernash, CO that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail takes you through Indian Peaks Wilderness. Trail is well maintained and lightly traveled. A gradual up hill climb ends at the lake. Some areas are flat and easy while other parts require you to climb over hills and rocks. At 1.8 miles on the Caribou Pass Trail, take the right fork.

Quite a drive up to the trail head, but would be beautiful in September with all the aspens. Really nice trail and well maintained. Our 5 and 9 yr old loved the bridges, stepping stones, and crossing over the larger rocks. A bit muddy at times with the rain and some snowy spots. Plenty of photo opportunities with the meadows against the mountains and of course the lake. Took us 4.5 hrs with the kids.

Was a very fun hike, would do it again, it is cool in October because the lake is frozen over.

This hike was so much fun. I'm 14 and this was my first major hike it took around 4-5 hours round trip. I got caught up in there in a thunder storm and it was pretty cool. It was totally worth it.

Beautiful spot, definitely longer than you think but worth it. My second time on the trail and my beagles loved it!

Awesome hike. I concur, about 3.5 hours round trip. Lake is beautiful!! Don't worry about the distance, just follow the signs. Unless you have a very accurate device for measuring distance, you'll keep thinking you're almost there. One of my new favorite spots of creation.

The hike took 3 1/2 hrs round trip. I clocked 6.5 miles on my Fitbit. Well marked path with lovely views opening up throughout the hike. MANY roots & rocks along path so you need to look down at path where you're walking or you could easily trip! Lake is beautiful and worth the hike! When you reach the pond you're almost there!

Great moderate trail- over 3.5 miles up to the lake according to my Garmin Vivofit, so greater distance than what was described on the national forest website.

Nicely maintained trail. We especially appreciated the flat boulders strategically placed, like stepping stones, to get the hiker through a marsh with secure, dry footing. Beautiful wild flowers and one wood thrush with beautiful song. Didn't make it to the lake as we weren't confident our elderly knees could take the down climb. But picnic with Mtn views by the falls was a pleasure.

I measured 3.95 miles one way with a 1100 foot elevation gain.

Beautiful trail with amazing views.

June 18, 2016 - trail became deeply snow covered about 100 yards after split from with the Caribou trail. Lots of post-holing and unable to keep track of the path. Didn't make the lake today. Planning on heading back in a few weeks.

A perfect day. Hike was amazing.

Fantastic hike. Well maintained trail. Gorgeous views of Indian Peaks from wild flower-filled meadows. Gradual incline until last quarter then steeper with a few scrambles. Plan to do this one every year!

Spectacular trail with alpine forest, alpine meadows, alpine lake with fish and grand views. The newly changed trail is 3.5 miles in, is well maintained, if a bit muddy on the second half. Saw moose, deer, even an alpine fox.

A really easy but incredibly beautiful hike. It was very wet when I went this past weekend but that made it part of the fun. You pass some old fallen in cabins along the trail and at the end is a wonderful lake. We jumped in and the water was very cold. 5 Star.

A wonderful scenic hike. Snow was still present in early July, but not on trails. Somewhat muddy in spots, but well maintained. Lots of fun log and rock crossings and mountain views keep it interesting. In the last quarter of the hike there is a good rocky climb before you reach the lake. A lot of skeeters up there in July, so we kept moving. Very enjoyable.

I love this hike and have done it several times. Snow has kept me from reaching the lake so take that into consideration in early summer--there could still be snow in early July at this elevation.

I've reached the lake in August on a perfectly sunny day and sat to enjoy a long lunch. On a September hike I was the only person on the trail there and back, which was wonderful, but it was cold and drizzly.

There always seems to be some mud and wet shoes make for a sad hiker so be aware of where you're stepping. The trail is well maintained, however, and if you luck out weather wise and can go on a weekday, you just might get to soak in all of the spectacular views without having to share.

Beautiful hike! Would like to do it again when we can stay longer .