Platte Canyon Trail

Platte Canyon Trail is a 31.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, CO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

This section climbs to its highest point (7,200ft.) in the first 8 miles until it begins to descend toward Strontia Springs, and Waterton Canyon. This section also crosses Bear Creek, and intersects with the Carpenter Peak Trail. NOTE: Dogs are not allowed in the 6 mile stretch of Waterton Canyon.

I did this hike beginning from Waterton Canyon. While the first 6 miles is a bit bland along the dirt access road, the canyon is beautiful. Towards the top of the road just before it breaks off through the woods, a large herd of sheep approached me and fed on the nearby grasses.

My favorite part of this hike is around the halfway point where I found myself immersed in a fern forest. It was a bit claustrophobic as it felt like the forest was swallowing me, but it is unlike anything I've witnessed in Colorado. It reminded me of the dense forests of Oregon.

Moderate hike with significant elevation gain right out of the parking lot. Can also be accessed from Waterton Canyon where you connect to the Colorado Trail 6 miles in, passed Strontia Springs Dam. Amazing views of the practically the entire South Platte Area. This section of the trail gets significantly less traffic than the South Platte to Little Scraggy Trailhead, and has better scenery.