Chuck's Loop

Chuck's Loop is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Castle Rock, CO that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a short loop around top of Gateway Mesa, offering views of valley below. Short & easy hike. Loops around north and east edge of mesa, then follows park border along south side. Minimal elevation change. This is located in the Douglas County Gateway Mesa Open Space Park. This trail connects to the Mitchell Creek Trail System.

I did this trail with my kids and we stop quite a bit but it was a great trail for them. They enjoyed jumping off the rocks they came across and it didn't have a lot of elevation so it was a great beginner trail for them.
Definitely very poorly marked though and I used the GPS on the All Trails app while we were recording the walk to make sure we stayed on track.

Poor trail signage. Gorgeous views of the canyon. A lot of cacti near trail, so keep dogs close.

It's a nice easy hike, with one look out point.
Good for the family.

Lots to see on this hike. Do yourself a favor and hike out to the bluff once you reach the southeast corner of the hike. Gorgeous canyon views there.

Scenery was beautiful but due to incredibly poor trail markings, I ended up also hiking Mitchell Creek Trail. Did not think I was going to find my way back to the car but thanks to some kind strangers, I did.

A fun January hike on a sunny day. It was mostly covered with snow and melting ice and mud, this hike was easy. I brought my hiking poles which made it easier to navigate the icy and slippery muddy areas. I would recommend this hike for anyone looking to start out. I look forward to hiking this in the summer - it appears to have some very interesting rock formations that were covered with snow.

If you are looking for a quick walk with the kids or dogs, this is great. If you are an experienced hiker who wants to get your sweat on, this isn't for you. Best use is for a Sunday stroll outdoors away from pavement.

Nice view around the loop but trail was field scenery the rest of way. Took about 45 minutes. Nice trail if just looking for a walk.

Easy and great for kids! can add an extra 3mi by doing the Mitchell creek canyon out and back trail. Good for trail running!

Took my four young children (youngest is 3, oldest is 8) for their first hike here after our recent move. It was the perfect introduction to some cool views and trail lessons. They all easily walked without fatigue.

Chuck's Loop is an extremely easy trail. But - it does connect to Mitchell Canyon Creek Trail which is more moderate and follows along the rim of the canyon. Great views across and down into the canyon, not to mention the trail itself is quite scenic. Mitchell continues into Founders subdivision. The trail head didn't have any maps remaining, but I believe once you reach the fork where you can take Mitchell the trail is at least 1.5 mi one way. The Mitchell trail does lack some markers - so keep alert. Don't let the parking lot at Gateway Mesa Open Space be your first impression of the hike and vistas, this was a surprising beautiful hike!

Went on a very hot (98) day. Short and easy trail, with minimal traffic. Nice views of valley below. South leg of trail is along dirt road, next to private farm.