Chihuahua Gulch Trail

Chihuahua Gulch Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Vail: Travel 29 miles east on I-70 to Silverthorne. Travel east on U.S. Highway 6 past Keystone, turn right onto Montezuma Road,FDR 5. Follow this road for 4.6 miles, turn left onto Peru Creek Road, Forest Service Road 260. Go about 2 miles, to the Chihuahua Gulch four wheel drive road on the left.

Amazing place to do hiking with your dogs. It's hard at the beginning due to elevation, but you can take breaks all over the way. Excellent view, worth the effort.

Drove to the upper trail head and hiked on a whim without any prior research; crazy, I know. Was surprised to find you had to scramble over the top to find the lake, and what an amazing view it was. For me, it was jaw dropping. Saw no signs of fish in the lake; haven't checked the 'net to see if there should be any. It was fantastic; the fall colors were beautiful.

This trail was moderately difficult, but well worth the trouble for the amazing views. The trail has many water crossings, so bring some extra socks just in case. I had no trouble getting through with a good pair of hiking boots, but we had to carry the kid across a few of the deeper ones. There are a few really steep sections, but also a couple really nice fairly level areas of trail to give you a nice break. The view at Chihuahua lake is spectacular, but I think my favorite part is on the flat part of the trail right before the final climb to the top, the field is just full of flowers and offers amazing views.

Very difficult hike. As the stats say, it's a lot of elevation gain in a short distance. It was made worse by the immense run-off at this time. The creeks were very deep and hard to get across. Much of the trail was flooded by the water as well. I suggest hiking in some comfortable hiking sandals that can get wet without making your hike miserable. The hike was very beautiful so it was worth going up but we didn't make it to the lake because we were told that it was 100% frozen still (by multiple people) and decided that it wasn't worth the trek through the snow the last quarter mile. We did only see about 10 other people on our hike.