Chief Mountain Trail

Chief Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Idaho Springs: Exit I-70 in Idaho Springs at exit 240. Go south on Colorado Highway 103. The trailhead is located 5 miles east of Echo Lake on Colorado Highway 103.

Amazing views at the top! Nice moderate hike even with snow on the ground.

Great hike, would definitely call it intermediate though. Pretty tough and hairy at the top

Easy hike, excellent view at top.

Relatively short and easy hike, but the views at the top are absolutely amazing. I went on a Monday morning and was able to get a parking space (very limited parking, btw)

The hiking app I use and my watch stated it was 2.8 miles one way. I thought it was supposed to be 2.8 miles round trip. Didn't bother me at all, but figured it might be useful info for someone else.

Definitely a must do hike!

This trail was perfect for an afternoon hike. The view at the top was breathtaking, no matter what direction you looked. Easy trails, but a good 3-mile workout. Will definitely be visiting again!

Nice little hike with great views from the top. Afterwards we headed over to Idaho Springs from some beers at the Outbound and Down Brewery. Overall it was a great day.

The only negative is the amount of crowds and limited parking on a Sunday in October so I cannot imagine the crowds in the summer. If you are looking for mountain solitude this is not the hike for you.

just completed this trail still very little snow if any one trial! always a great little hike, if you want can easily hit squaw half mile down road

Gorgeous but a bit slippery with the snow and ice this past weekend.

got engaged at the top today, and can honestly say its the perfect spot. easy hike and sublime views. quick drive from Denver. Also - Aspens are really glowing this time of year.

Very cool hike with 360 degree views at the top.

Excellent view with only a short hike.

Wonderful trail. I am 59 years old and not in shape...and I hiked to the top with several stops to catch my breath, but so worth it when you get to the top. It was an absolutely beautiful day and the aspens were brilliant yellow, which made for some great pictures. The trail itself, which is a constant incline was not bad at all to hike on, mostly roots at the bottom and then more rocky at the top, but still very walkable. Will do it again when I return to beautiful Colorado!!!

Great hike! I'm a new resident of Colorado and am fairly fit, but the trail still had me stopping every so often to catch my breath. The trail was easy to find and navigate and the views at the top were amazing! Highly recommend to anyone! The trail has lots of shade!

Great hike for my kids. Beautiful views, good exercise, but not too demanding for my six and nine-year-olds. Also, pretty promising for me, as a botanist. It's a bit late in the season, now, but there is a nice variety of plants up there.

Great moderate/ easy hike with a nice incline. Gorgeous views and nice and shady. Leaves are starting to turn for the fall.

First hike in Colorado and highly recommend it for those visiting. We ran into the kindest guy who said it best, "this trail/view is like getting a gourmet meal for only $1." The 360 views take your breath away and although I wouldn't label it easy for those not used to the attitude- take it slow and you will be glad you did :)

Nice, wide, relatively easy trail. Beautiful views at the top.