Chasm Lake

Chasm Lake is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, CO that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, horses, and snowshoeing and is accessible from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hyw. 7 out of Lyons to Longs Peak trailhead.

This was our second hike in RMNP, it was a bit tough but well worth the hike. The river crossings on the way up were nice. The trail transitions from forest into alpine tundra. We went in the middle of October and started around 11 AM. It was pretty cool at the beginning but as you hike higher it got pretty breezy and chilly. At the top it was very windy and cold, we couldn't stay too long. The weather didn't take away from the beauty of the lake. The most difficult part of the trail was the last scramble up just before the lake. It was still pretty icy up there so it was a bit tricky navigating up the ice and rocks. I would recommend hiking with a good pair of boots to keep traction. The whole hike took us about 6 hours to complete. I think we went a little slower than usual cause it was our second hike and we are all from Florida which is as flat as it gets. All along the way is breathtaking views of the mountains and the valley. I can't wait to come back out here!

One of the best hikes I've ever been on.. 13.5km to chasm lake.. last 500m is pretty steep and technical.. but worth it!

Absolutely gorgeous hike! It is a little challenging at the end climbing up the rocks but it makes the end result worth it! This hike is one of the favorites I've done so far in the Rockies. Would definitely do it again

Great hike! Extra challenging to get up the last scramble with the snow and ice, but that much more rewarding when it was done! I enjoyed the waterfalls and river crossings on the way up, and once you get above the treeline the views are remarkable. My only caution if you go soon is to watch for falling ice around the cliffs just past Peacock Pool...I nearly got creamed by a softball sized solid ball of ice! Otherwise some minor slippage, but poles were good enough to get past it. No problem with parking either, on a wintery weekday. Even when I left at 3ish, there were still a lot of open spots. Overall awesome!

Beautiful view. Well worth the hike and navigation through snow and ice at the end.

Well worth the strain at the end. Snow and ice on the final vertical climb.

Great hike. The views of longs peak above the lake are awesome. Good trail and a good workout.

I did this hike Sunday 18-Sep-2016.

I arrived at the trailhead at 0445 and there were about 6 spots left. If you are hiking before the sun comes up I would 100% recommend a headlamp. However, there were a few hikers I came across who were not using headlamps.

After you emerge from the trees, you are in a pretty bare alpine tundra. This day, the wind was absolutely insane, even before the sun rose and on my way down. I did not bring gloves - which I regret. But a beanie stayed securely on my head with my headlamp holding it in place. The wind nearly knocked me over quite a few times and I felt like I was hiking through cement on the ascent.

The first lake you see down below is NOT Chasm. Keep pushing.

Take note that it is fairly easy to lose the trail to the lake once you get in sight of the Privy by the ranger station. The trail continues to the right of the Privy, and you scramble up a lot of rocks to get to the other side.

The hike was challenging for me due to the wind, but the views were well worth it. Sunrise was one of the most beautiful sites I've seen in a while. I am only giving the trail/hike 4 stars because the trail gets wonky at some parts, but nothing is perfect :)

The trailhead starts at the longs peak trailhead and you follow this trail for most of the day. I got to the trailhead at 6:30 and the lot was already full so I would plan on going early or waiting till later in the morning when some People are coming down. For some reason today the wind was intense, sunny skies but so windy it was literally blowing me away. Once you get near the lake it is difficult to see where the trail goes, I ended up scrambling over rocks on the side of the lake instead of in front of it but still very beautiful. Make sure you wear something warm with a hood and gloves in case of the wind.

Fun day hike that offers a steady push through the legs and lungs and delivers fantastic views. Weather can change rather quickly so highly recommend bringing along ultra lite rain cover...just in case.

Gorgeous hike just under 10 miles round trip. We arrived at sunrise, 6:30 am and had to park a bit down the road as the lot was full. The entire hike was beautiful as the terrain varies through trees at the start, then a tundra hillside with wildflowers and grasses and lastly along a stunning ridge line to the lake. If you're not going to summit Longs Peak, this is the perfect hike to see the peak up close. The lake has plenty of space to picnic and take pictures. Biggest marmot I've ever seen chilling up at the lake. Great hike to bring out of town visitors that want a longer hike. Wildflowers mainly done for the season.

I really loved this hike. Once you get above the tree-line the views are gorgeous, and they get better once you get to the chasm and the lake(s). I got to the lake in 2 hours but I was moving pretty fast. Coming back down isn't too bad but can be very slippery if it rained. One of the best hikes I've done in CO so far.

This is one of the best hikes all around. Fantastic scenery and odors in the alpine forest as you start out with streams and waterfalls. Once you clear the tree line the views are breathtaking all the way to the top. For a 4 to five hour hike there and back that isn't too difficult or demanding it's well worth the effort.

Awesome views of Long's Peak and surrounding mountains, plus multiple lakes and waterfalls towards to end.

Water spigot at the trailhead, and a privy just before rock scramble to Chasm Lake. If you're getting there past early morning, plan on parking along side of the road (there's a decent amount of space). Many people stopped around Peacock Pool, but trail continues on. Once you get above the treeline, wind picks up.