Centennial Cone Trail

Centennial Cone Trail is a 13.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a great mix of open meadows with rocky strenuous areas. There are only three creeks for water for dogs so bring lots of water for the fourleggeds. Next time I will do this trail in true Camino style, with a big lunch and bottle of wine. Centennial Cone Park is one of the largest parks in the Jefferson County Open Space system. The park offers visitors a vast, back country-type experience. When setting out to enjoy this expansive park, plan accordingly for your own health and safety. * Have adequate water -there is no drinking water available on the park * Be prepared for changing weather conditions; a cool, overcast morning could rapidly change into a beating sun and warm temperatures by mid-day. Afternoon thunderstorms are frequent from spring into fall, and there could even be snow in July. * Limited shade exists; wear a hat and use sunscreen. Many of the trails have little or no shade. This is good to melt snow and dry out trails in the late fall and early spring, but it can make your trail experience more intense. Another reason to have adequate water. * Travel with a friend. Because of the size of the park, it is recommended that you visit Centennial Cone Park with a trail buddy. Or at least let someone know when you are leaving and expect to return. * Carry a cell phone; always a good tip whenever you are enjoying a Jefferson County Open Space park, however realize that reception may not be available in all areas. * Understand what to do if you encounter a bear or mountain lion. Taking part in trail activities in a natural setting, you assume liability for all risks associated with visiting this Open Space area. Be aware that bears and mountain lions live in this area. Wildlife Encounter Information is provided by the Colorado Division of Wildlife and Open Space.

Beautiful views! I'm not the biggest trail runner but did the 13.3 mile loop going counterclockwise as the app suggests. The last 3 miles were rough but other than that there are no significant inclines and the whole thing is definitely "run-able". Went mid November and there were some slush/snowy stretches but the majority of it was open to the sun and dry. Definitely be sure to check the alternating date schedule!!

I took the first four miles out and back from the first parking lot from Golden. I love that one weekend day is pedestrians only. It was nice not worrying about mountain bikes flying up behind me. The views were incredible and I only saw a handful of people. I wouldn't say this was an easy run. The plowed trail slopes in and wore on my feet after a while because I couldn't land flat. The trail was also quite rocky, which made it difficult as a new trail runner. There isn't a lot of shade either. All things considered this is a good trail.

I had a great time on this trail. There is some uphill but the downhill makes it all worth it. Watch out for super dry terrain, my bike slid out and I took a little tumble. Other than that the breeze is fantastic and the greenier makes it all the better.

It was challenging but do able for me.Took me 3 hrs, but I stopped quite a bit. Not crowded at all, even on a busy summer weekend everywhere else. There was only 3-4 cars in the parking lot. I'm a beginner - lower intermediate rider. I rode clockwise and I was able to complete all the ascents without walking my bike.

This was a fantastic hike. Throughout the 12 miles I probably only saw about 10 people, so it's very lightly trafficked.
This trail alternates every Saturday and Sunday between biking and hiking. I was lucky because I happened to drive out there and it was a hiking day.
This trail offered so many great views of the mountains but also beautiful meadows and rolling hills as well.

Fantastic hike that really fits if you're looking for a mild hike with great variety, plants and views. Going from the prarie filled foothills to the steep ledges of the rockies is a real treat.

We did traverse for about 5 miles then came back. Elk ridge was shut down unfortunately or else we would do the full loop. We will probably go back when that opens

I did this trail with my girlfriend the second week of October, on a weekday. We started off at the west entrance, i.e. Douglas Mtn Road, and did the Elk Range to Travois loop. My watch registered 12.4 miles total, with 1900 ft of elevation gain. It took us about 4.5 hours, which included a stop for lunch.

The trail was great and very quiet, we saw 4 people total. There were views of beautiful wide open meadows, steep canyons, and some creek crossings. I would definitely recommend this hike as a metro area day trip.

As far as difficulty goes, it was an easy 12.4 mile hike, not an easy hike. Realize that the distance is on the long side for a day hike, set aside 4+ hours, and take it easy and enjoy the solitude and views. The elevation gain was minimal and spread out, I enjoyed the gradual ups and downs. It was a hike I would take my ambitious sea level friends on.

Lastly, I think this is a great trail for a runners to get in some long slow distance. I definitely will head back out to run it.

Did the first mile and a half of the loop today - the weather was perfect and the views were excellent. Amazing outcroppings of rock and foothills surround this winding, steady, easy trail. Definitely a fun one to take first-timers who want a good view of the foothills! We had fun!

I did the 12.4 mile loop today parking at the Douglas Mountain Rd. parking lot. I left at 8 am and started clockwise. The Elk Range trail which I started on was basically 3.5 miles of a dirt road, which I don't always love hiking on but the views were pretty. Once I reached Traver's trail I was very pleased. It was beautiful and I could not have picked a better day. The weather never got too hot. I would rate this trail as easy. I never had to climb very much but due to it being 12 miles I guess I didn't mind. I completed the loop by 12:15. All in all it was a rewarding hike and great for beginners looking to get in some miles