Castle Trail

Castle Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indian Hills, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.1 miles 2036 feet Loop

Amazing experience trails are fun!!

I did the east access part of this trail a few years ago and was not impressed- it was very exposed with no shade. I did the west access trails today and liked it. I hiked Castle Trail, Old Ute Loop, Devils Elbow, Meadow back to Castle. It was 5 miles and a good workout- lots of ascents. Nice views from Devils Elbow and Meadow trails; wildflowers as well as some shaded areas. It is a popular area but there was about 1 hr where I did not see anyone else on the trail so it depends on which routes you take.

The Walker home site was interesting.

Great hike! Lots of other trails to branch out on. The "castle" is cool to check out.

This hike was a blast! I am in town visiting for the week and found this hike on the all trails app... I'm really glad I chose this one. I am a regular hiker and this gave me a good workout but wasn't a killer. I hiked the castle trail all the way up to the castle, about 3.5 miles up.

The trail is a nice steady incline the entire way. The first part of the hike is without shade and has a lot of switchbacks, so you gain elevation pretty quickly. About a mile and a quarter up the switchbacks end and you are hiking back into the canyon. This is where the trees become present. Around this area you will come to a break in the trail where you can continue up on castle trail or go down turkey trot trail and back to the trailhead. I continued up castle trail. Again , for a little while there is no trees so it could get really hot on a midsummer day. The view of Denver is nice and you also have a good view of the red rocks amphitheater. Once you get father up, about 2.5 mi into the hike, you come into some trees again. I love this part of the hike. The trail up here is pretty much flat. Once you pass the pergola, you can continue on castle trail for another half mile and you will reach the castle. It wasn't what I expected but it was cool to see. The story Behind the castle is displayed on a sign and was interesting to read. I won't spoil it for you, just go up there and check it out. On my way back down, I branched off onto 'walkers dream', it's a short walk and really pretty, if you're up there and can handle adding about a little extra distance to your hike, check it out. I got to see a little family of deer bouncing down below as I ate a banana on a little bench and just observed the view. It was a nice break. When I came back down, I branched off and took the turkey trot trail back to the car. I really enjoyed this part of the hike and an very glad that I went that way. This part of the trail goes back into the canyon and is almost completed shaded with large trees. Since it's in the back of the canyon it's pretty secluded, unlike when hiking in the foothills. If I lived in the area I would definitely do the castle trail / turkey trot loop as a regular hike for my dogs. After going up castle rock to the castle, checking out walkers dream and going back down turkey trot, the total distance was 8.8 miles. There is no water on the trail at all, so bring water especially if you bring your dogs, they will need it! There are plenty of places to sit down and rest, make sure you have some time to linger, bring lunch and some water and enjoy!

Trails were moderately icey but I saw over 18 deer mostly around the tower. A great hike on the less traveled Paramlee Trail.

Great hike

Great trail for my 10 yr old to hike. Will probably be back with the 12 yr old to bike it. Saw deer on the way up and turkey near the castle ruins.
The west entrance at the top of Falcon Park is the way to go with the younger ones, we tried the east side the day before and way too steep to ride, walking would be tough too if not used to the heat or elevation.

Very nice

very pretty. We did a mix of the Parmalee trail, the Meadow Trail, and a small bit of the Castle Trail so that we could see all the sights like the lookout house and the castle ruins. quite fun, easy for the most part (though there was some steep bits) and wonderful views.

Great hike if you don't have a lot of time to get out of the city. It was pretty busy but the castle ruins and the summer white house foundations were interesting. Also, the views of the city and Red Rocks are beautiful.

We have hiked the Tower/Castle loop many times. This is a great family hike our 3 yr old and 6 yr old love the views and the "tree house". This is the first hike we usually tell others to take when they are starting out. We usually start our hikes early on Sunday Mornings. Light traffic during this time- when we are leaving around 11 there is usually a full parking lot.

I enjoyed this trail. Moderate hike, lovely scenery.

I hiked the trail from the Morrison Town Park area. You can start on the Castle Trail and hike 2.5 miles to the Walkers Dream Trail junction. The other option is to take the Turkey Trot trail for 1.7 miles before it connects to the Castle Trail from the parking lot. It is another .5 miles to the Walker Home Ruins (Castle). After visiting the Castle ruins, you have the option to head up the hill and continue on the Castle Trail for .4 miles and connect to the Meadow trail/ Tower Trail to see the Eagle Eye Shelter. You can then loop around on the Tower trail back to the Meadow trail. The Meadow Trail will then drop you back to the Castle Trail at the Walker Home ruins. There are other trails you can also explore. If you do all the above trails and also checkout the Walker's Dream Trail (.6 @ Trip). You will hike between 9-10 miles when returning down the Castle Trail/Turkey Trot trail (optional) to the Morrison Parking lot. Great views of the Red Rocks, Downtown Denver skyline, and Mount Falcon.

Very busy trail. Some tree cover at some parts, none at other parts which can make it a difficult hike on hot days if your not prepared. Dog friendly, but again, bring extra water than you think you may need for your furry pal. Views are great and there's always the castle at the top!