Cap'n Jacks Trail to Jones Park and Bear Creek Trail is a 13.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.
Over the Mountain and Through Bear Creek's Woods Old Gold Camp Road leads to many of the hiking treasures of Colorado Springs. One of my favorites is the trek from High Rd via Cap'n Jacks trail, over the ridge between Mt Kineo and Mt Buckhorn, down through Jones Park, and up the Bear Creek run to the meadow below Tuckaway Mtn. Total elevation gain for this journey is about 2400 ft over a distance (round trip) of about 10 miles. This may seem like it's out in the middle of nowhere, but when you come across an old water pipeline, a mine shaft, Loud's Cabin, and a century's old U.S. Geological Survey marker, you realize that real people tried living and working out here at one time. Jones Park, in the middle of this hike, was designed to be the location of a hotel and restaurant for those traveling up the road to Pike's Peak.
Good hike. Not too crowded on a Saturday. I only encountered a few bicycles. I took 7 Bridges trail back down to the lot; I'd recommend that to make it a big loop.
1) It's easier to drive to the parking lot at High Road from the Starsmore/Helen Hunt road. It's paved the whole way.
2) High Road is closed to vehicles, so you have to park at the lot at High Road & Gold Camp. This lot is crowded on the weekends.
3) Nothing ever says "Cap'n Jacks" anywhere. Fortunately, these hiking directions are spot on and it's easy to find the trail.
4) My dog sliced his paw. He usually does fine on the trails, but this one got him. Second the booty recommendation.
5) There's a good amount of water on the trail, but not for the first 3.75 miles. It can get a little hot for your dog (and you).
Incredible trail! Ignore the previous review. You have to park and walk maybe a half mile to the trail head. Difficult, but not overwhelmingly so.
Impossible to get to, roads closed off even though says open April-October.