Byers Peak Trail

Byers Peak Trail is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Winter Park, CO that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from June until November.

Directions from Granby: Travel southeast on Highway 40 approximately 17 miles to County Road 73 in the town of Fraser. Travel west on Road 73 for 2 miles to Forest Road 160.2. Travel southwest on Forest Road 160.2 for 7 miles to Forest Road 111, then west 4 miles to the trailhead.

With the exception of the long walk to get to the trailhead, it is an amazing hike! Beautiful views!

Amazing, Beautiful lush trail. Last Mile is intense but so worth it!! Windy at top so bring a beanie for your head. Enjoy

Great hike. I did this one 20+ years ago and didn't remember how hard it was. Maybe it's because I'm 20 years older now and only had a few days to get acclimated.
Had a hard time finding the trailhead. Never did find CO 742. Instead I followed 73 and then turned on Byers Peak road. It was an ok dirt road. Could have done it in the family minivan, but glad I had my brother's jeep. Thanks Adam!
We brought bikes along for the service road. They were especially nice on the return trip to the jeep.
Beautiful views after the service road. The forested portion was pretty, but only a few lookouts until we got out of the trees. Just as we exited the trees, we lost the trail for a bit but looked up and saw a sign about 100 meters up. After the trees, it's pretty much a straight shot up the ridge line to the top. There's some scrambling as you approach the summit, but it's not difficult. Great views from the top and above tree line.

Hiked on July 9, 2016.
Oh yeah - we were told that there's a ton of snow up there and we might need snowshoes. That's not the case. There are a few snowfields, but none that we had to traverse.

I uploaded my map / tracks, but something happened with the mobile app and didn't save until we got back to the condo in Fraser. If you zoom in and ignore the green dot in Fraser, you can see our tracks. I also paused it at the top and hiked for about 15 minutes before I remembered to start it again. Doh!

Easily the prettiest hike I've ever done

Great views after you get past the 2 mile forest service road and to the original trail head. The very top is a bit of a technical climb but well worth it!

The views are spectacular. The first part on the closed service road is a snooze, but it is worth it when you get to the trail. Although you can make it to the trailhead in a car with reasonable clearance, I would recommend an SUV or pickup for the last mile of the drive.

This trailhead is kind of confusing to find. The first bit of the hike is on closed Forest Service Roads, not to bad, but it gets rather boring. They have a bike rack at the start of the actual trail and one could ride up on the closed road. The hike is not bad at all, wonderful views and a great ridge hike once above treeline. Despite its low elevation the view still very much indeed, in-part form its distance from other mountains that are higher.

This hike is a must if you are visiting Grand county, CO. The hike along the forest road can be a little boring, but bring your bike and you can ride from the 2nd gate (usually closed and where you park) all the way to the trail head. You will be able to lock your bike to the bike rack located at the trail head as well. No bikes on the actual trail. The trail through the woods is mostly shaded and gives you several scenic overlooks of the Fraser valley. Byers is not as tall as some, but the ridge line trail offers a challenging scramble once you ascend above timberline. Once you get to the top, keep a look out for the mountain goats. They are pretty friendly and curious if you are lucky enough to see one. One of my favorite hikes close to home.

The trailhead was hard to find. Go all the way to the end of the loop on CO 742. You can park along the road at the tralihead. Great hike with awesome views. Too bad this isn't a 14er to be able to add to my list.