Buffalo Mountain Trail

Buffalo Mountain Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silverthorne, CO that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

Not my favorite trail. The views are outstanding, especially on a clear day. And you get a few different hiking experiences during the overall trail. However, the boulder field ruined it for me. A solid majority of the trail is spent going through the boulders on the way up and back down. You have to pay attention and follow the rock stacks. It gets a bit old and is somewhat dangerous with lots of loose rocks. This trail is difficult and everyone should expect at least 4 hours to complete it.

Not really sure why the app shows the trail starting so far back...also not sure why the trail isn't actually displayed, but it does exist and it's labeled/viable from the road. Easy parking. Great hike! Definitely a climb especially towards the top. Went when there was lots of snow on the trail. Makes it a little more challenging but manageable. Views from the top are beautiful! Follow the signs you'll run into another path but it's easily labeled (take a left).

the talus field is challenging. Think switchback and cairns. don't be distracted by anything straight up. Move across the talus, not directly up.

This is a great hike for some of the more advanced hikers. The views are incredible the whole way up and it is so rewarding to reach the summit. Although the boulder field is nerve racking
and dangerous, I had a great time hiking this mountain with my dad!

Hiked the trail yesterday (8/23) after a quick warm up on Lily Pad Lake trail. The trail starts on the Buffalo Cabin trail head and continues 2 mi,es past the cabin (cabin located 1 mile from trail head). The trek was harder than the four-14ers (Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross) I did the day before. The boulder field was an amazing adventure (let the cairns lead the way) not for the faint of heart. After the rock field is a false peak of tundra that leads up to another rocky area to the summit (about 1/2 mile up). Great views of Summit Countyand surrounding area. Epic climb! (Garmin recorded 6 miles round trip)

Great evening hike. Came across mountain goats. It was great fun! Beautiful views of Lake Dillon.

Great hike. It's a tough climb with a lot of loose skree in spots, but great views. We just went slow and it was fine. 4 hours up, 3 down, and we had a 45 min lunch at the summit. Just perfect.

I went so unprepared for this hike. I had no idea the majority of it was climbing on boulders and how steep the mountain really was. Was even more challenging than some 14ers ive done. I didn't anticipate the amount of time it was going to take me out and back. The view at the summit is incredible however. Bring plenty of water and bug spray and rock climbing gloves and a first aid kit. The mosquitos and fire ants will prey on you with or without bug spray, the mosquitos will bite through your clothes. I actually got lost coming down thinking it was wise to to try a different path. I wound up on steep gravel path that I wound up slipping and sliding down on my butt. It was so challenging and energy depleting that after several rock drops and trying to look for the path again I wound up calling 911 to have the search and rescue team come find me. The great thing is that they are a wonderful responsive group of people. They found me after an hour and 15 mins of dispatch..they are all volunteers as well with great personalities. THey held my hand and helped strategized a way back to the nearest path zig zagging through the brush and boulder fields horizontally so we didn't have to climb anymore. Im very greatful for them and glad they weare such great responsive people. Know that you are in great hands in case the worst happens and stick to the trails thats marked with the boulder and kearns coming up and down. Theres no easy way up or down. set aside the whole day for this hike and keep alert. I wound spending the whole day on this trail started at 7:30am got back to my car at 8:30pm. Im all brusied up and scratched but remarkably my adventure on this mountain made me fall in love more with this state.

Incredible views! Definitely should be marked as difficult not moderate. That boulder field can crush your soul just to reach a false summit. Lots of mountain goats to be seen, completely worth the journey!

Great Hike! The boulder field is quite tough. I would say this is tougher than some 14ers. The views are amazing!

Great hike. Climbing the boulder field offered interesting variety. The mountain goats encounter was cool. I would bring some bug spray next time for the wooded portion of the hike.

I love this hike but consider it more difficult than moderate.

Beautiful views from the top!

Enough distance and elevation gain to make you feel you accomplished something, but not too long as to completely wear you out. Really splendid views of the gore range. I would hike it again.