Browns Creek and Little Browns Creek Trail

Browns Creek and Little Browns Creek Trail is a 16.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nathrop, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

fly fishing

Directions from Buena Vista: Drive south 10 miles to County Road 270; and then travel west on County Road 270 for 2.5 miles. This road turns sharply north. Continue straight at this T and follow County Road 272 4 miles to the trailhead.

Steep uphill at the beginning of the hike, probably for half a mile. People take horses on this trail and we had to constantly watch where we stepped to avoid the horse poop. The waterfall was a nice end point, there's some sitting space to take a break and eat snacks before hiking back.

First part is pretty steep but gets easier. Worth the effort for the views.

Spectacular views along the ridge line portion of the trail . Steep in areas with rocks and soft ground to negotiate. Awesome hike and the waterfall was amazing. A challenging but rewarding hike for a flatlander who has 3 hikes under his belt. More difficult than Mayflower Gulch and Bakers Tank.

let me start by saying the views are stunning. I am a little shocked that this hike is rated as easy. I did the entire 16.2 mile loop this weekend and I am an avid hiker and in very good shape..it was a saaallloooggg to the top. Not what I would rate as an easy hike. The hike down into Browns lake was not easy as well. The 4wd roads are in horrible shape and are a joint pounder. decent sized rocks on the trail for a few miles. If you do this loop, bring your trekking poles as this will help take some of the pressure of the joints. would I recommend this hike..eh?? maybe. It was pretty but I have done prettier hikes that weren't such a joint pounder.

We came for a visit, from Texas. Loved the 6 mile round trip hike to the falls. Take plenty of water if hiking in the summer. Wife said it was moderate and not easy.

A group of us took on this stunning hike this past weekend, completing the entire loop. We hiked from the trailhead on Little Brown's Creek trail to the North side of Mount White and around to Brown's Lake on the South side . We encountered lots of snow above 10,000' making it difficult to follow the trail and stay on course. However the views were well worth the extra time and travel. We camped at Brown's Lake and were just awestruck by the views. The second day was a gentle decline down Brown's Creek trail back to the trailhead. Can't recommend this hike enough....although I would wait a couple of weeks for some snow melt.

Stunning!

Beautiful hike! We just went to the falls and back, took us about 3.5 hours with frequent breaks to admire the views and to let our lab swim in the streams. Great views of the nearby mountains.

Great trail...beautiful...good view...waterfall lovely. Only hiked to waterfall and back but was a good hike...about 2.5 hrs.

Beautiful view and awesome peaceful camping!

Backpacked the trail from July 11-14, 2015 with 4 others. Good trail that has about a 2000' elevation change going up. Mostly gradual elevation gains with spots of ridgelines to overcome with last gain being the most challenging. Hike is about 6 miles one way to get to Browns Lake at 11,500'. Fishing was successful, but fish are small (5" - 12"). Established firepits in camping area right after the trail on south end of the lake. north end of lake has camping spots also that are accessible via 4x4 trail. Expect visitors and hikers throughout the day, but we only had about 7 hiking parties over 4 days. Great views and hike. Would recommend to a friend. I am a beginner backpacker and I would recommend, but took us about 5.5 hours to complete one way. Have fun!!

I did this as a trail run - views are great. I got to the second stream crossing and saw a large black animal rustling around in the bushes... turned out to be a cow, but was still alarming. There were too many cows in the trail (who weren't particularly happy to be disrupted) for me to keep going alone - probably would have been fine with a group or a dog. Also, there were a lot of cow and horse droppings on the trail to avoid.

Best trail I've been on since living in Colorado! The water fall is awesome. We kept hiking to see the lake and got caught in a storm. We were so close but turned back because of the storm. I wouldn't consider this an easy hike if your not a regular hiker. The difference in the terrain keeps you motivated to keep going. LOVE THIS HIKE

Bit of a climb in the beginning then levels out. Very nice hike crowded on the 4th of July. Horse back group made coming down difficult but got around. Nice advanced beginner hike

This was an awesome trail! From the parking lot you switchback up to a ridge to meet up with the colorado trail. Theres camping and water access for the most part of this trail. Shortly after the colorado trail theres a nice wide section of trail that opens into a meadow. There were a few wildflowers but nothing amazing. I think we were a little late for the big bloom. The big waterfall is pretty cool. The viewing area has nice sized boulders for sitting and eating a quick lunch before you make the push to the lake. I highly recommend eating a good lunch here if you're pushing for the lake. Theres a couple really nice creek crossings again after the waterfall. A new pine bridge with a guardrail on one side has been put up. The next used to be just a skinny pine tree is now a halved tree that leaves enough room for you and your dog to cross. The hike seriously intensifies after these crossings. It almost feels as if you are just clawing your way up the valley. The trail is full of rocky sandy dirt and not exactly the most maintained trail and its FUN!! Bring your trekking poles because theres a few spots that are a little sketchy. Once you make it through the tough parts it opens to another meadow with a little more gentle waterfall. Thats the final leg of the trail up to the lake. The lake is really pretty and very full right now. Fishing is also great up there. If you like wild cutthroat trout this is the place.

Great hike and easy access. There is also decent fishing in the waterfall basin.