Brookside-McCurdy Trail

Brookside-McCurdy Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, CO that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Brookside-McCurdy Trail is the major north-south artery through the middle portion of the Lost Creek Wilderness. This trail presents the hiker with the wide variety of the Lost Creek Wilderness, including different forest types, wide-open parks, and wild formations of red Pikes Peak granite.

If you think this trail is "moderate" you didn't hike far enough. We took it to the CT, 12.7 miles, on an OAB hike and yeah, it's a killer. The Wilderness sign-in box is 3.2 miles up, according to my GPS. The box is where the tougher part begins. Until that point, you could push a wheel chair up it. From 3 miles in to 12.7 miles deep, this thing goes up and down like a prom... er... nevermind. This'n here cranks out big gains and then losses, over and over again, whilst traversing beautiful valleys and wider-than-usual-trail-width-creeks. No, it doesn't go anywhere important, but it'll burn about 6,000 calories and ache oh-soooo good for a few days. It'll take 10 hours of straight humping, but in the end you'll have earned yourself about 5600 ft. of gains and losses over the course of 25 miles OAB. You can literally then go home and eat the entire house down, and still be ahead in the morning.
You's a hiker, ain't ya?

We hiked 4 miles up the trail, the first two were relatively simple although uphill for the most part. The next two miles had a little rougher trail. The sites were absolutely beautiful and the aspen groves were truly magical. We got out on the trail about 7:15 and only saw another group on the trail. Definitely recommend!

This trail suffers from "lack of destination". It was a nice little hike, and nature is always great, but there is nothing to look forward to. I would leave this one to the locals, and go find something better.

Arrived around noon. Only 2 other hikers on the trail. Absolutely beautiful. Creek crossing were very manageable. Steady climb up. Definitely on my return list.

Nice walk June 2, no snow until about 10,200 ft. Piles of snow got bigger and more frequent until around 10,700 ft, when I could no longer pick out the trail and turned around. When you get to the Ag trail 719 there are some crags around 100 ft off the trail from which you get nice views; otherwise you are mostly stuck in the trees with no vistas.
A question for AllTrails webmasters: how come you show the trail ending after about 3.75 miles instead of going on up to the 608 intersection?

Nice, moderate hike. We made it to the sign for the Pike National Forest before turning around, not sure how many miles that was, maybe about 3.5? The trail is well maintained, we crossed the stream 4 times and only passed a handful of other hikers this morning.

There was still a fair amount of snow on the trail towards the end but overall I really enjoyed it. There weren't very many high point views but the views of the valley with Mount Evans in the background were great. It was overcast during the entire hike so I can only imagine what it would be like if it was sunny out. Also, I wouldn't classify this as a "Hard" hike but instead a more moderate hike even though there is some distance.

As a guest in Denver I was allowed to visit Bailey and the party I was with suggested this hike on February 13th as it was a gorgeous day, in the 60s for February. The trail had a lot of icy patches but nothing too difficult. The trail is mostly gravel which is great for winter hiking-no muddy spots or standing water areas. The trail had great traction for the most part. About 2mi in there was a water crossing but it was frozen. Because it was getting late we didn't make it to the wilderness box but I plan to return and do the entire loop in the summer. The aspens are beautiful along with the rock cliffs as some of the natural scenery I saw.

Definitely a great hike, but bring water as it is dry right now and I noticed we were at 8100' which tends to create much evaporation. Additionally, not much traffic on it, so a great hike without a lot of people.

Loved the trail. I would not rate it as difficult. Moderate yes. I made it to the Wilderness Box and filled out my first permit only to find a tree had fallen across the trail. I took it as a sign to head back. Total trip 9 miles. It was beautiful. The flowers and so many butterflies. The creek was cool. I crossed it 3 times. One time was a little ify but found a large log for me to cross while my dog just jumped right over. Lol. Not many people on the trail. Nice if you want a little solitude with occasional hiker along the way! Really enjoyed.

We hiked 2 hours in & returned. The rise is gentle & there's enough flat & downhill as well to make this very do-able for the average hiker. The trail is nicely wooded but has a few open spots & enough shade for the summer. Our walk was sprinkled with little gold coins of recently fallen aspen leaves. The day was sunny & crisp. We crossed water 3 times. Mt Bailey & a snow capped Rosalie were in view.