Blue Lake Trail

Blue Lake Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Red Feather Lakes, CO that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, and cross country skiing.

6.1 miles 1887 feet Point to Point

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel west on Hwy 14 for 62 miles. The Trailhead is located about 2 miles east of Joe Wright Reservoir. Parking is available at the trailhead.

Good hike! Be prepared for change in weather at the lake.

Good day hike. It is in the forest until you get to the lake. It is a gradual ascent and a good chance to see moose. Head west above the lake to get another lake view.

Thought it was a very good trail only reason it is difficult is to reach either summit and get back to the car you must be prepared to hike 12-14 miles.
Beautiful views of blue lake at the saddle

Well maintained trail.

It's a good hike from the trail head to the lake, but it doesn't really open up until the last mile or so. A good hike if you are going in the hot summer. If you like to fish, take a rod, Blue Lake has some nice cutthroat trout hiding in it. We also spotted a radio-collared cow moose with a calf which was cool to see. We encountered no snow on the trail.

WE JUST WENT THIS PAST WEEKEND (6/28/2016 - 6/19/2016) NEAR THE TOP OF THE TRAIL THERE WAS STILL A LOT OF SNOW. BEAUTIFUL HIKE THOUGH. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. A MOOSE WALKED RIGHT THROUGH OUR CAMP THE NEXT MORNING!!!! THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP

Hiked in about 2 miles on June 5 but turned back due to snow and time. The hike was wet but gorgeous and I can't wait to come back after some more melt off. My dog was not a fan of the log bridge for one of the water crossings but that's not the trails fault.

Trail head states this is 5.1 miles to the lake, but I wouldn't know for sure because I couldn't hike all the way out there. Snow still several feet deep in spots. Trail alternates from clear to snowy and I had to turn back after about 2-3 miles.

geocaching

Me and a buddy did this trail in April, on a trip to climb clear peak, the mountain on the south west rim of the lake. Despite it being early spring there was probably 5 feet of snow, and we had to snowshoe all the way up. The trail only had tracks about a mile, and after that it was all fresh powder. About a mile and a half in we lost the trail and just followed the valley floor up towards the lake. The day was warm for the time of year, and the snow began to melt, sticking to our snowshoes and eating them down. 5 miles through untouched snow, as it sticks to you was One of the hardest hikes I've done. We reached blue lake, crossed its frozen surface, and climbed up the steep valley wall to the saddle between Clark peak and Cameron peak. We set up our winter tent, and had to build a snow brick wall around it because the wind was vicious. We didn't bring much to protect our faces and we both got awful windburn. I wound up wrapping a bandage around my nose and my mouth as protection from the wind. After the fact my buddy got blisters that leaked puss from the whole ordeal. After a night with little sleep due to the loud wind we got up at sunrise and hiked up towards the ridge of Clark. Avalanche danger was pretty high to the left and right but we followed a stone protrusion and did alright. Once we reached the ridge, it was 2 miles through howling wind along the ridge to the peak. The conditions were pretty unlucky, but the view from the top of all the surrounding mountains was stunning. Overcoming this mountain was a very changing journey.

Great hike with water crossings, view of Chambers lake on way up. Can be accessed from hwy14 in upper Poudre Canyon. Went on Labor day but didn't feel that busy. Good dog hike, but keep them on the leash even though this trail is in a wilderness area. Good calorie burn...1600 out and back for 5'11" female at 160#.

One of our favorite Indian Peaks hikes. If you go in early summer, the trail is sloppy and you will be scrambling over the last of the snow. Also, there is a creek you must cross that can flow pretty fast in the early summer. I have not been there for a few years, but it used to be that you had to cross the creek using deadfall and water soaked trees. Not impossible, just take it easy. Once you reach that impossibly blue lake and sit in a semi circle of 12K and 13K peaks, you won't want to leave.

Great trail. Beautiful views. Lots of people. Trailhead parking lot will always be full on the weekend for this popular hike. Try to get up there on a weekday.

Easy trail with a great lake at the top.