Blue Lake and Little Blue Lake Via Mitchell Lake Trail

Blue Lake and Little Blue Lake Via Mitchell Lake Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are a couple of Blue Lakes in the Colorado front range. This one is located in the Roosevelt National Forest north of Nederland, near the small community of Ward. It is a fabulous hike in which you will encounter two major lakes (Mitchell and Blue) and several other streams and small ponds. There is abundant wildlife and flowers that offer some of the best photographs. The view of the Continental Divide is also magnificent the closer you get to it. This is listed as a half day hike, but you could do it in 3 hours fairly easily. You will need to pay $10 for a day pass to park at the trailhead.

This was an awesome hike! We are not hikers at all - but try to do a hike on our yearly visits to Colorado. The hike to the first lake was pretty easy and we ended up leaving my father in law there to fish while we went ahead to Blue Lake - it was much harder as we got to the top, but ended up finishing just fine and did some fishing up there too. Even saw three large moose cross the trail about 30 feet in front of us!

This is a pretty nice, and not difficult, trail. It is easy on the knees both directions, but does get much windier towards the top. Big blue lake at the end is absolutely gorgeous, be sure to spend some time there. It is moderately trafficked, and parking is $10. I would love to go back and try different, longer trail.

One of my favorite hikes!

Love this trail! Blue lake was gorgeous! I did it today and it was the last day the area was open for this season (if you go after today you can still hike in from the road - I did that this past spring to do lake Isabel- will add about 2-3 miles to the hike though). Recommend this trail for sure. Go early because the trail head fills up if you hit this hike next spring! Add it to your list of places to climb! :-)

Beautiful!

Started out at 10:30 a.m. and had to park at Niwot parking lot because there was no parking at Mitchell or Long Lake trailheads. No biggie, just added a little bit (1/3 mile) to our hike. The weather was gorgeous; sunny and a little chilly. We were glad to have a coat, hat and gloves when we arrived at Blue Lake. The trail is icy and snowy, so proper footwear will help. I would have liked Yak Trax and or poles. The other lakes have ice, but Blue Lake is still blue as ever. Seeing the snow on the peaks was a spectacular sight! Moderate is a good rating, but my guests disagreed. They said it was difficult at times.

The perfect moderate (I would dare say easy at parts) hike at a good altitude for taking in some pretty views! Started at 8:15am today (Saturday 10/2/2016) and had plenty of parking available. Also, always thankful for a trail that allows dogs!

Gorgeous hike and views! Not much of an elevation gain and this trail wasn't popular until after 9am. There was a light dusting of snow on the trail but it wasn't too bad.

Beautiful! Exactly what we came to Colorado to find.

Wonderful hike and not too difficult. The water is gorgeous. I highly suggest it.