Black Mountain (West Summit) Trail

Black Mountain (West Summit) Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Craig, CO that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Black Mountain Trail: 3.5 miles to the summit of Black Mountain (10,800'). An easy climb offering sensational views of the Yampa Valley and into Utah and Wyoming. Slater Falls: A half-mile hike to a beautiful 30' waterfall on Slater Creek. Bears Ears Peak: Drive or hike to the top of this prominent Moffat County feature, aptly named for its resemblance to bear's ears. Breathtaking panorama of the Yampa Valley.

In my Ford F150 4x4 I drove past the snowmobile drop off area, and that's where things went bad. When it says 'the trail is only accessible from', pay attention. As I drove up a long, curvy section of the service road my four wheel drive lost traction and I bottomed out. After digging out my tires and making tracks to allow my wheels the chance to gather momentum I drove in reverse all the way back to the snowmobile parking lot. I guess I'll have to wait till June to tackle this trail. Along the way I saw multiple elk herds and mule deer a plenty.