Ben Tyler Trail

Ben Tyler Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This popular trail is named for Ben Tyler, who lived with his family in the gulch that bears his name. The trail offers spectacular views to the north and south from its high point, and the changing colors in September, particularly in the large aspen groves in Ben Tyler Gulch, are outstanding. From the Ben Tyler trailhead, the trail rises 1.4 miles to the boundary of the Lost Creek Wilderness. The trail continues up to a high saddle above treeline, which offers some spectacular views. From here the trail descends to the south into the Rock Creek drainage, to the Rock Creek trailhead.

Great winter hike. I got a late start so I didn't finish the hike, but what I saw was wonderful! I think the trail is a little easer than the rating suggests. The trail was pretty visible even in the snow. This is a great hike that is worth another visit in the spring/summer.

It's a beautiful trail. It's quite enclosed with many trees. Perfect for tree/forest lovers. Had gorgeous sites/veiws. I think it was the perfect difficulty for all levels of hiking experience. It is kind of a "hidden gem"

People with dogs are some of the most disrespectful jerks. Clearly dogs must be kept on a leash but we are living in an era where people feel entitled to ignore this simple request as pictures on this trail would indicate.

Just finished this hike today. Lots of snow on the trail but still can hike it with just hiking boots. The aspens have golden leaves at lower elevation but are blown off all the trees as you gain elevation. Continued on trail past the summit down the Rock Creek Drainage area for about 30 minutes. I wanted to see the old lumber camp. Didn't make it. Clouds started rolling in. I found the trail south of the summit was spotty in some areas but cairns do help. I have driven by this trail many times and never dreamed it would be so challenging.

A great trail. Arrived at TH 7:30am. Didn't see another human until 11.
The climb is constant, but mild. A few scraggly spots. The ambiance is from the trail. Not a lot of great vistas.
I never did get to the end of the trail. After 6.2 miles I was at the summit which is a nice mountain meadow. The trail continued, I did not. On the way down met more people. In all, saw maybe 10 people. No horses or bikes. And lots of varied terrain. Got a touch of altitude sickness. You get up to 12k feet. A great Sunday hike!

Didn't get to complete the whole trail due to time constraints but it was a nice gradual climb the whole way. I hiked up mid September and the foliage was absolutely beautiful. Definitely want to go back and finish the hike.

Hiked Ben Tyler this morning. Challenging yet rewarding, given the varied terrain and interesting switchbacks. I did see a very large bear cross the trail in front of me about half way back to 285. It did not concern itself for me, and once I saw it was alone, I continued my hike. The flat top was beautiful!

Wonderful trail. Starts off with an incline. Didn't make it past a couple miles due to lack of snow equipment. Can see this being a great snowshoe trail too! Can't wait till the snow melts more and I can do the whole thing

Great hike. Made it about 4 miles in before turning around due to snow drifts in the trail around 10k ft.

Aspen Colors

Hiked the trail because the Guanella Pass Rd was closed for construction. So we couldn't make it to Sq Top Mt. Nice mellow trail with enough 'UP' to keep the heart pumping. The stream was the trail in a couple of places. Few other hikers but LOTS of beautiful flowers. Haven't hiked this trail in a looong time.