Bear Peak Trail

Bear Peak Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail had quite a bit of ice and soft wet snow. Recommend micro-spikes for the next few weeks.

This trail was a challenge! I tried to access it via NCAR but the fork to Mesa Trail is closed until summer for flood repairs. Parts of the trail were closed M-F, 7:30am-5:30pm.

Headed to the South Mesa Trailhead ($5 parking fee), took Homestead up to Mesa and Shadow Canyon. Shadow Canyon kicked my butt but I made it up to Bear Peak trail and up to the summit and back (took Towhee back). Clocked in just over 9 miles and it took me 4.5 hours. Definitely recommend spikes! Great hike! I'll try taking Fern Canyon next time for an even greater challenge!

Fun, challenging, some parts require scrambling especially the very top, amazing almost 360 view at the top, worth the workout!

Do it if you're up for a challenge! We loved it!

I would say this is a challenging hike. Took Mesa trail to Shadow Canyon Trail to Bear Peak. The first 1.5 mile or so was fairly easy until you got to Shadow Canyon Trail where it was pretty much vertical from there on out. Very rocky hike but definitely worth it. I felt very accomplished after this hike. I would recommend micro spikes during the winter. I didn't have any and slipped a few times. That was my fault for not having any. My GPS clocked in a little more than 10 miles round trip.

Enjoyed it.. kicked my butt.

I have to disagree here as I don't think the hike was very challenging. Most of it is pretty easy, however, once you get into Fern Canyon it does start to get challenging. If you are an active adult who does cardio and or strength training this shouldn't be too hard. In comparison to other front range hikes, it is more challenging. Class 3 and 4 climbing conditions at the top. Beautiful hike, go early and enjoy the oeace and the forest!

Hard and Strenuous hike. Has you doubt yourself a few times but absolutely worth it in the end! I tracked it on my Garmin Fenix 2 and it counted 9.4 miles not 7.7, so a heads up there!

This trail is not open to reach the peak Monday through Friday, until further notice. There are crews working to replace bridges. Really excited to get back out there and make the trek. The lower trails before the closures are beautiful. Mallory Cave is an alternative hike from the same trail head that has views overlooking Boulder.

What a view at top! We sat on top for about 20 mins just to enjoy the view! We went from fern canyon and it was manageable, not as hard as I thought(I am not a climber) Coming down was harder as my legs were sore and tired. Took us 4 and half hours round trip.