Bear Peak Trail

Bear Peak Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2 minutes ago

Hard and Strenuous hike. Has you doubt yourself a few times but absolutely worth it in the end! I tracked it on my Garmin Fenix 2 and it counted 9.4 miles not 7.7, so a heads up there!

This trail is not open to reach the peak Monday through Friday, until further notice. There are crews working to replace bridges. Really excited to get back out there and make the trek. The lower trails before the closures are beautiful. Mallory Cave is an alternative hike from the same trail head that has views overlooking Boulder.

What a view at top! We sat on top for about 20 mins just to enjoy the view! We went from fern canyon and it was manageable, not as hard as I thought(I am not a climber) Coming down was harder as my legs were sore and tired. Took us 4 and half hours round trip.

beautiful colors!

challenging, lots of vertical, great views

Amazing views at the top. We started at elderado springs. Make sure you go all the way around when you get to the top. We came back down the other side towards NCAR. I enjoyed making it a loop and getting picked up rather than an out and back.

The view at the top is worth it all. It was on the difficult end. Make sure you bring enough fluids and snacks. If you are looking for a challenge this is it!

Beautiful hike!! The beginning is mostly downhill so don't forget about that uphill on the way back!

Challenging but fun. Not a hike I would do for stunning views, as a lot of the forest is burnt. Great parking and not too busy. A lot of fun overall!

This is a very challenging and especially beautiful hike, Fern Canyon is one of the steepest trails in the Flatiron region. It's like doing triple stairs for 1000+ vertical feet. This time I was training with a full backpack.

I recommend you start at NCAR by following the parking loop all the way around to the far southwest side. Then you have two ways to connect. Either you can begin by dropping the entire hill from the upper far edge of the parking lot to the lower trail along the Valley floor, or you can follow the Upper NCAR trail to the sign, and left and descend then follow it back past the water tower and make a left on Mesa Trail. This second option is pretty and adds 20-30 minutes of beautiful hiking around rolling hillsides. Everything is well marked when you make a left onto Mesa Trail.

I recommend the faster valley floor route (skier right) on the way back, and save the 20 minutes.

It's a strenuous hike, but totally worth it at the summit. We took the longer route up (loved the luscious forest) and decided to take the shorter route back. We got lost on the way back to NCAR and added 3 extra miles to the trek. Fabulous workout though!

Great hike

Started at the NCAR. Challenging and rewarding with very light traffic.

Awesome hike!!

Bear peak is what my girlfriend and I refer to when we think of a trail that was too difficult for us. We're working back up to it, it was absolutely beautiful though. Definitely a challenge worth tackling.

The first portion of the trail is not bad at all. Once you get into the mountain, then it is challenging. We started at 7am and took 2.5hrs to get to the peak and another 2.5hrs to get to the car.