Barr Trail to Pikes Peak

Barr Trail to Pikes Peak is a 23 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Manitou Springs, CO that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is wide and very accessible from the ascension and descension standpoint. The last mile is the hardest and takes a lot of stamina to conquer the final walk across the boulder field.

We tried this for the first time to gauge where we are. We have a lot of work to do! Made it 1/4 of the way up before turning back. Had our 1 1/2 year old in a pack and our dog on leash. Lots of fun. Want to make it to camp next time. So inspired by all the other hikers who make this trek

Perfect trail. I'm from Ohio so wasn't prepared for lack of oxygen. Flew in on Friday and hiked Saturday. Made it to summit but the 16 Golden Stairs near the summit caused me to become "zombie-like" because of being well above tree line and me not being acclimated to altitude. So, if you're coming from a low area my advice is to stay at higher altitude for at least 72 hours before attempting the hike.

Great trail. I am 56 and from the East Coast. I hiked this trail last Friday and Saturday and broke it into two days and spent the night at Barr Camp. Had a blast. This is a very difficult climb if you are over 50 and are in decent shape. I acclimated for two days and still found it really hard. It is a long hike. 26 miles. Beautiful views. Highly recommend. Wear low boots. Nothing heavier is needed.

rails trails

I couldn't hike this peak but I wanna reach the summit. So I took the cogwheel train up/down the peak. It's beautiful! Makes me wanna say hallelujah if I hiked all the way up!

Did as a platoon function and it was a blast!

Did this 10/14-10/15/2016. 25 miles round trip. 12-15% grade. You can break it up with an overnight at Barr camp at 6.5 miles in. You can take the train down as well from summit. This is an amazing icon summit. The first 14 in the front range from the east. Pikes peak. An accomplishment anyone should remember. If you're not experienced or over 40 and in anything other than excellent shape do it in two days. I ran into men in their 30s taking the train down and saying,'it's the hardest thing I've ever done.' But realistically, it's doable and unforgettable.

I hiked this at the end of Sept 2016. I'm not an avid hiker but I'm athletic and in good shape. It took me 9 hours for the ascent and I took the train down. I had perfect weather from start to finish and i took my time enjoying the scenery along the way. I started early at 4am, so be sure to bring a head mount light if starting before dawn like me. Its pitch black with out one and is a must have for predawn starts. As a first timer I wanted make sure I had plenty of time to get to the top and to summit before any possible afternoon storms rolled in. I dressed in layers and packed extra clothes for any unexpected weather changes. Had enough food for an overnight stay if needed along with fire starter kit and water filtration kit. I also used trekking poles which I found to be very beneficial. I took a hour break at the Barr camp and enjoyed spending time meeting other hikers and the camp residents. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming. Overall an incredible experience that was worth every minute of effort. The first two miles and the last two miles were the toughest. If you'relike me and not an avid hiker do your homework and read a lot on how to prepare before attempting. Having the right clothing, a good pair of hiking boots and proper equipment is essential. Be honest with your current physical condition and plan accordingly. I'm east coaster so the altitude definitely made it more challenging. PS. I'm 52 year old male avid cyclist. Go for it and enjoy !

Did it yesterday. Last two miles were beautiful & challenging.

Wonderful hike. Dress in light layers and bring plenty of water. The geological formations and views looking east from above treeline are especially beautiful.

Very fun trek. I recommend starting at 5- 6 am. If you plan on going up and down in one shot plan on 12-14 and that's being in excellent shape and good with altitude. You can stay a night at Barr camp on the ascent or descent which will increase your chance of summit. If you plan to stay at Barr camp on both ends expect about 3 hours of hiking from the trailhead. Give yourself 4 hours from camp to summit and 2 hours back down to Barr camp. Give yourself another 2 hours from camp back to the trailhead. Don't underestimate going in to it

Had an blast hiking the trail yesterday! It is doable for anyone willing to put in the time! It was a long hike but worth every second.

A must do!!!

awesome hike, the first two miles are definitely the worse otherwise it's not too bad of a trail, perfect time yesterday with some of the leaves changing and crisp fall air.

I've done it twice this week! I love it. I'm from Indiana and I'll be back to summit Pikes!! Yesterday in the fog it was so beautiful! Monday when it was warm and clear out it was also beautiful!!

If you don't have the time or stamina to do the full round-trip hike you can consider taking the cog railway to the Mountain View drop off. From there it's 1.5 mile trail to Barr Camp where you can then link up to Barr trail for the ascent to Pike's Peak (3-5 hours). Once on top you can choose to hike it back down all the way or book a return on the cog railway.

Hiked it again with my son (hiked it last month - see review) today and completed it up and down in 13 hrs 45 min. Grueling at the top mile or two. Good trail but long. Glad to have it officially out of the way.