Barr Lake Trail

Barr Lake Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brighton, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

$7 Parking Fee for the day.

A great state park for fishing and boating. The trails are decent, but there are only a few that I would consider for hiking. Fantastic for bird watching.

Good winer riding major drawback are the trains. One area next to the tracks and the other side drops directly down over boulders into the lake. IF caught by the train you are SO done for. Other areas somewhat more distance but about 3-4 miles fairly close to the frequent trains so beware can be overwhelming for horses. Shooting season below dam. Yikes. They shoot even if no geese just to see the horses freak out. Call ahead to check hunting scheduled days. Waterfowl can explode off the lake spooking horses. Lake is beautiful home to bald eagles deer (mule and white tails) migrating birds. People are friendly.

A 10-mile journey for bikes with flat terrain. There is a section that is very close to operating trains, but we have not seen them during our several treks. Deer, cranes, and other wildlife are common visitors on this trail. It's an easy hike or bike around the loop, and dogs will enjoy it too.

Started at 6am, From the Nature trail going counter clockwise. Got to the 2.5 mile marker the trail was flooded out with no visible way thru. No signs at the trailhead to tell you the trail was impassable. A lot of bird life, also saw mule deer. This is a nature trail not a hiking trail

cool birds. 16 ft of trail was covered in 6" or so of water.

It is a very long walk with very little shade.

This is not a hike. It is a long walk around a lake. I saw 11 dead fish floating in the lake. There is not much shade and it feels very much like walking down a driveway to a farm. The birds were cool though.

I hiked the first 2.5 miles and back in May/2016 (I ran out of time). There are beautiful bridge trails built over the lake giving you access to great bird, fish, and wildlife watching. Trail is easy, flat, graveled, and mile marked every .5 miles. I entered the state park off Picadilly Rd (FYI, the park entrance is hard to spot if coming south on Pacadilly) and parked my car which did cost $7 for the day. Dogs are not allowed on the lake trail...fyi. I met a bird watching enthusiast who geeked-out for his love for this area. You can spot a bald eagle if lucky and geeselings walked the sides of the trails. I also ran across 100's of carp spawning in a shallow, reed filled lake outlet. It was an iconic hike before catching a flight home. Yes, this hike is 15min from the DEN airport and a great way to spend time vs sitting in the airport bar. Enjoy!

Great morning jogging area. perfect for kids too.

Great winter hike with loops we did 10+ miles. A little snowy on the East side.

The trail here is so well-designed, and it really helps enthusiasts feel the clean mountain air. The loop takes a lot of endurance to pave through, but it's worth it. I also found a great review of it at this site, http://www.stateparksreview.com/colorado-state-parks/barr-lake-state-park/. What a pleasure!

Great Trail!! There is a lot of snow on the trail, but NO ICE. We had no problems hiking in regular hiking boots. There are markers every half mile or so. I was happy to see a sign at the end of the trail that said that we hiked the equivalent of Mt. Yale which is 14,200 feet. Of course the trail is flat , but that makes it an excellent training trail for the higher elevated trails to be conquered over the summer. Eventhough we couldn't fine a 9.2 mile marker, 2 friendly rangers confirmed this distance. Hope to come back someday.

I went today and took my two large dogs. Thank goodness it was an overcast day as there is not an ounce of shade on the lake loop where the dogs are allowed. The trail was wide and without spurs. Reminded me of a graveled service road. I found out at the guard house that dogs can't make the complete 8.8 loop. I got a little confused and ended up parking at the boat ramp instead of the nature center. I took the trail to the right, over the dam, for 3.15 miles to the "dogs prohibited" sign and turned back. As another review mentioned, there is a short section that is practically on the railroad tracks. We were lucky and made the section both times without a train pushing us along! I then went from the boat ramp to the nature center foot bridge which was the other "dogs prohibited" sign on the complete loop. Foot bridge and back was a little over 2 miles. We managed an 8.3 walk overall.

Very pretty state park and the 8.8mile trail was great. It was pretty flat, and scenic views throughout. Not a whole lot of shade on a super sunny day. We brought our large camelbak and almost ran out of h20 around mile 5, the park ranger did a loop and gave us more h20!!! We were very happy! Loved the path and would def go back.

Took 4 Wolf Cub Scouts on a relatively short hike down to the gazebo and back. Saw several different types of birds for an elective and even saw some GIGANTIC carp and what we think were muskrats by the beginning bridge. A good time was had by all!

Nice trail with pleasant views. Saw several bald eagles and a variety of water fowl on my recent visit.

Nice little park. Large Lake, I believe you can fish in. Great place for bird watchers. They even have resident eagles that just had hatchlings and you can view them through the telescope! Easy place to go stroll and get away from the hustle bustle!

Not to bad mostly flat wide dirt roads but there is lots of bugs so were your glasses