Animas Mountain Trail

Animas Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Durango, CO that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great 6 mile loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar. Great 6 mile loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar.

Stunning views of the Animas River Valley!

Nice views of Durango and easy to get to from the center of town.

Most of the climb up is not necessarily scenic or beautiful, but it is a good workout with some switchbacks and elevation gains. We did the loop, and the path down was a little more forested and had some pretty meadows too.

Our Garmin clocked 6.13 miles, but we did take time to check out the lookout points. From some of the lookout points, we could see the river curving through town, and it was beautiful.

Wonderful views and it's nice that it's a loop. We veered to the left on the way up and realized on the way down we'd chosen the harder way to the top. The right side of the loop is more switchbacks and not as much of a constant incline. Taking the longer outer trail was a good idea, the viewpoints are worth it.

beautiful! family friendly!!

Really beautiful views and cool terrain, I definitely enjoyed it!

Great easy hike if you want to get moving. It has great views of Durango and the valley just north of town.
I give it 3 stars because of the amount of traffic and, to be realistic, there are much better trails to visit around Durango.
It is worth it for a good vista of the town or getting in your daily exercise.

I love this trail. Close to home, steep enough & beautiful views of the Animas Valley! I give it only 4 starts because it is always a bit crowded on the trail & parking.

What a beautiful day!

Great hike for a novice group! Our 8 year old made the trip up with a few stops and the teenagers nailed it! Water was good like everyone else had said to take. Food would have been a good plan... Learned for the next trip!

Great hike in the middle of Durango. We went on a Friday morning and there was barely anyone on the trail. It's a steady incline so be prepared to take a few stops and take water. The views were great!

I enjoyed running up the trail - the views at the top were incredible! However, the large stones made it hard to run down. I think it is more suited for mountain biking.

Easy trail to follow.

This is a great trail! Super convenient. I use it often when I am training for various races.

Great place for a trail run!

I love this trail. Great views and a nice steady incline the entire way up!

Great morning hike. switchbacks helped wake up the legs. friendly locals on the trail, too.