American Lakes Trail

American Lakes Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Walden, CO that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Alpine tundra, wildflowers, cirques, Continental Divide views! Trail ends at American Lakes with options over Thunder Pass into RMNP or up to Snow Lake. Spectacular views w/fly & lure fishing permitted. A great backpack trip. Fires prohibited above timberline.

Beautiful hike! My dog and I made it up to Snow Lake and the view down to the American Lakes is absolutely breathtaking. About 8.5 roundtrip if you include Snow Lake. It is pretty tough to get up to that lake.

First time hiker and was really proud of myself for finishing this. Went a little late in the season (late October) and there was a little snow on the ground that made things more difficult than they should have been. This is definitely back woods hiking and worth every step. We did lose the trail and ended up walking across the south side of the stream. Took us 4 hours at a very leisurely pace :) We will do this again and cross over Thunder Pass into Rocky Mountain National Park next time.

Really incredible hike. I wouldn't rate it a hard personally. Did it in 2hr40 and I'm not super fast/in shape. Leisurely about 3hr30 - 4hr round trip. Definitely worth the drive from foco

Great hike. You can continue past the mediocre lakes to thunder pass or even summit the nearby peaks.

This is an easy hike but lengthy, approximately 10.4 miles. It inspires me to start back packing due to the many places that I would love to wake up to in the morning. Simply gorgeous!!

Amazing hike. Park at trailhead closer to the campground since Michigan Ditch is closed at the top of Cameron Pass. Great single track about half way up. Awesome views of the Crags and lots of wild flowers. Can't wait to mountain bike it the next time.

Wish the state park had this posted on their website, but the road to the trail head is closed until October 2016 for reclamation. So, didn't get a chance to hike it--disregard my rating.