Abyss Trail

Abyss Trail is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, CO that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Abyss Lake Trail is a popular hiking trail that ends at Abyss Lake. The lake is nestled in a high glacial cirque between Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. The elevation gain, together with the round trip distance of almost 17 miles makes this a strenuous day hike. The trail follows an old logging road about 4 miles to an intersection with the Rosalie trail. from there the trail climbs more steeply into the upper part of the valley. From an unnamed lake at timberline, the trail continues through the willows, then westerly across the tundra to the lake.

Very nice out and back for hiking or snowshoeing. There is usually moose activity in the marshy area about 3 miles up so keep a look-out! Good mix of shade and sun in the Mt Evans Wilderness area.

Didn't have much time, so only went in about 2 miles to the river where there is a great view into the valley. Tall pines and aspens, with plenty of water stops. Easy to park off paved road. There are places to camp after about a mile, lots of firewood.

Spectacular aspen change colors. Blinding yellow. We went a little past the second creek crossing - very easy hike - really more of a walk. Gentle steady uphill but mostly rock free. Very wide trail. Suitable for everyone. Plenty of dogs running around. Will try it again in the winter - will be a nice snowshoe hike

Great moderate trail with amazing gold Aspens in the fall. Dogs allowed on leashes.

Awesome trail with lots of diversity. There's aspen groves, wetlands, and mountainous ridges.

We loved this hike! There was so much diversity in the trail from wooded trail to open fields with wildflowers and so many waterfalls!

BEAUTIFUL HIKE. NEAR UN-NAMED LAKE THETRAIL GETS LOST, JUST WATCH CAREFULLY FOR CAIRNS AND YOU'LL BE FINE. I WOULD HAVE GIVEN THE TRAIL 5 STARS IF IT WERENT SO BUSY. WE WENT UP ON FRIDAY SAW NO ONE, THEN SATURDAY WE SAW A FEW GROUPS THAT FOUND THERE WAY PAST THE UN-NAMED LAKE THEN ON SUNDAY ON OUR WAY BACK DOWN WE PASSED A LOT OF PEOPLE. ALL IN ALL THOUGH, GREAT HIKE WOULD DO AGAIN.

Did about half of this trail. Started on Rosalie then took the cutoff to Abyss lake and camped out there. Amazing views and wildlife. See my track on the Rosalie trail page for reference.

We hiked to the lower lake and camped just below it. This is a long mild hike in then the last third is where its tough uphill. we got a bit lost coming out so pay attention the the many forks in the trails you will reach. June hiking/camping was amazing.

Beautiful!!

Beautiful trail. Six water crossovers. River always close by.

Easy trail we discovered while driving the Guanella Scenic Byway. The trail map gave no indication of distance however and after our second stream crossing (1.5 hours after beginning)we turned back due to weather. Back at the trail head we discovered we were barely halfway to the end. It was a beautiful hike. There are a lot of rocky portions that require concentration.
We would try again with an earlier start and more preparation if the opportunity presents.

Perfect fall colors right now. Moose close to the trail at the top today.

Just completed backpacking this on 5/2 - /3. Lots of snow and did not make it to the end needed snowshoes in which i did not have packed for the trip. did not make it to the upper lake as wished but did make it to the lower. Freezing temps at night, 3 storms blew over but each one dropped the temp about 10 degrees.

We did this trail on Sep 20. The aspens after the first creek crossing were phenomenal, worth the trek through a forest on very crowded trail.

The aspen leaves were starting to turn yellow when I hiked Abyss. I did the 17mi as a day hike and started around 11am. It was a beautiful hike with many different plants. Views were fantastic. The lake was nice, but the miles of forests leading to it was what made it worth it. One my favorite hikes in Colorado (so far).

Hiked and camped on this trail on 7/30/14 and 7/31/14. Very scenic hike and worth checking out. We had rain most of the trip but it was still worth it. Look into construction on Guanella Pass road to make sure there are no closures to trail head!

I rode this trail on my horse and it was quite difficult to pick through the rocks and steep, going up on a horse isn't as bad as going down...I got quite scared in some places concerned that my horse would trip , slip and fall in some places. I got off and hiked down the steeper places as my mare was very tired and not use to the altitude. Well worth the ride to the lake....I just wanted to stay and come down the next day and enjoy the beauty. Saw a few campers and hikers but not very many.

Such an awesome hike! It's beautiful all the way to the top!
My husband, our 2 dogs, and I camped at the small lake right below Abyss Lake. There was a wicked thunderstorm that rolled in at about 3:00pm, and being above timberline was a bit nerve-racking, but made for a cool story.
I would totally recommend backpacking in. The solidarity of it was beautiful. We were the only campers, and only saw two groups the whole trip.