Zuma Canyon Loop Trail

Zuma Canyon Loop Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Agoura Hills, CA: Take US 101 / Ventura Freeway to Kanan Road. Head south on Kanan Road to reach Zuma / Trancas Canyons.

Brought my pup - great trail to bring a dog on. Wide trail for the most part - sweeping views of the ocean and mountains. Good incline for running and nice stop by the stream halfway for lunch. I would recommend downloading a map before heading onto this trail as there are several intersections where I could see getting off track. AllTrails map/god worked great!

This is a great area for hiking. I could see how some people end up off trail and adding miles to their hikes, though. There are several areas where trails split off. Be sure to study the map and look and the "intersections" you are going to run across. The views are beautiful, but for the most part, you are in full sun with the exception of the occasional shady patch. Also, be prepared for a leg buster. Bring plenty of water.

This trail was perfect for my dog and me. Challenging but not too difficult.

I loved the trail ... but the trail to do the loop is not well marked. The first time we went clockwise and ended up on the wrong trail and hikes 17+ mi. The second time we went counter clockwise and only had a small misstep and ended up hiking 14 mi ... great views though the hike back will be in full sun so bring water and start early.

• Great workout, the second big uphill climb kicked my butt a little in the full sun and heat - so bring lots of water
• if you start early like 7 or 8am you'll get a lot more morning shade to rest in but there's a lot more marine layer and cloud obscuring your view. Even starting at 9am, I think some of the "amazing" views were obscured
• to be honest, there are better views of the ocean from other hikes - you see a lot of houses and land first so it's not that great
• back end of the hike there's horses and poop from a horse tours ranch in the valley but it's not as bad as say, Will Rogers state park

Awesome hike. I am glad we went clockwise.

Good trail, we started in the parking lot and hiked up the main trail, once we got to the end of the trail we took it off trail and did some boulder scrambling up stream to the little dam, along the way we did see a few snakes and alot of humming birds, a lot of the trail was over grown even in the main parts, & there was a lot of poison oak & milk thistle, so make shur to wear long pants, my girl friend wore shorts and had a hard time all in all good trail would of loved to make it back to the Fall via boulder scrambling up stream but it was too over grown, next time i will take the edison road to the falls.. oh and it is use by alot of horse back riders so there was a lot of horse waste on the trail

This is an amazing trail. The views, especially on a clear day are just gorgeous! You can see the ocean, the mountains and you just feel like you are in another place.

The trail itself can be made as long or as short as you'd like. The Zuma Canyon loop is easy and you are in and out. But you can connect to other trails that make it worthwhile.

There isn't a lot of shade on this trail, so be sure to go early before it gets too warm.

We took our dog, dogs are allowed as long as they are on a leash.