Wuh-Ki'o Trail

Wuh-Ki'o Trail is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Auberry, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The Wuh-ki'o Trail (Wuh-ki'o is the Dumna/Kechayi term for the San Joaquin River) starts from off the west side of the loop on the Pa'san Ridge Trail. About four miles long, it connects with Millerton Lake State Recreation Area on the Madera County side of the reservoir. The trail follows along the Although the trail is only about 4-5 miles RT you must park at the SJRG staging area, hike down across the bridge and up to the real trailhead making the total RT mileage closer to 9 miles. There is decent shade coverage but this is a trail best hiked in the fall/spring or winter because the summers are very hot and all the vegetation dries up. Reason for moderate difficulty is because of the length but the overall difficulty of the trail is low. FYI this trail is open year-round

Another great day hike that is relatively close to Fresno. Not too crazy on terrain and elevation gain. Sites are somewhat nice all around. I'd say a great starter trail.

Great hike .. Hot

Do not attempt this during the summer unless you know what you're doing. We saw only one other person on the trail and now I know why. My buddy and I are in decent shape, brought over 9 liters of water and still almost collapsed of heat exhaustion towards the end. Seriously, it bordered on dangerous. Whoever listed this trail as moderate must have done it in the cooler months.

Tip: the end of the trail is marked by a very inconspicuous sign which has an arrow pointing in the opposite direction you will be travelling. I didn't even notice this sign on the way in (there is apparently miles more trail after this sign) and continued on for another mile or so to a beach along the river. So don't be fooled, if you aren't paying attention and you include the mile or so of trail heading up to the Wuh Ki'o trailhead, what you thought was going to be a pleasant 6 or 7 mile hike will turn into a 10 mile nightmare.

Watch out for cows, rattlesnakes, and tarantula hawks. Cool scenery.

TL;DR - Prepare to hate yourself and/or die if you attempt this during the summer months.

the hike to the bridge is nice but after that it's a pretty boring hike. once you get towards the end trail isn't traveled a lot so you may have to pay a little more attention. 3 gates and around 8.5 miles later your done. good exercise trail but not something to do for fun.

This hike was very misleading. This is not as easy of a hike as it states. The trail is very poorly marked. The trail leading to the bridge was an easy hike but the trail after was brutal. It turned into an all day hike that felt like it never ended. Re-think this hike before you do it. If you feel like your lost its because you are. Turn back or you'll get really lost.

This trail is an easy one that is perfect for an early morning hike! You get to cross the river via bridge and continue on the other side. I recommend bug spray or gators for your legs and good sunscreen. There's aren't many people and you can bring your dogs!

Gorgeous early spring hike. The flowers were amazing. I would say this this was a pretty easy hike. We wished we would have brought ours dogs, we saw so many on the trail.

Beautiful spring hike with crazy wild flowers galore. Great to see the raging San Joaquin and hidden gem of a bridge...you can feel it rock as you walk across. One thing that's a bit confusing is where does the trail end? Worth every mile!!! Just go!

Go down to the river and enjoy the scene! Lots of cows, great views, beautiful weather! By far one of my favorites!

Fun little half a day hike, beautiful view from the bridge near the power plant and some nice walks through groves. Lots of people out when I hiked this trail, and you pay 5 dollars for parking so bring cash.

This was our first ever family hike. We hiked just to the Bridge ("Bridge Trail") with our 8 year old, his friend and our dog. There are parts of the trail that are quite narrow, but overall it's a great little hike. The bridge over the gorge is really neat to see and cross, nice photo ops. I'd skip this trail until cooler parts of the year though. Even it early October, we got quite warm. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

Fun and easy

Wow great hike 4 month ago

I love cliff jumping and swimming in the gorge!

Hiked this trail in early March. It was beautiful - green and plenty of wildflowers. From the parking area to the river bank at the end of the trail took us about two hours, making our total hiking time around four hours. Next time we will plan to have a longer break along the bank of the river.

This one is right next to the Pa'san trail. This one is moderate and not a loop like Pa'san. It is downhill for about 4.5 miles and takes you next to River Gorge. Then you have to turn around and go back the way you came.