Woodson Mountain via Hwy 67

Woodson Mountain via Hwy 67 is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

Mt Woodson via Hwy 67 offers breathtaking vistas. This hike is moderately strenuous, and easy to access due to its convenient location. In the summer, be sure to take enough water, it gets extremely hot and dry! The views to the ocean and to Palomar Mountain to the East are worth the effort. There is a longer but more gradual way to the top, via Lake Poway that is more often travelled. https://alltrails.com/trail/us/california/mt-woodson-via-lake-poway-trail

Paved, so it's easy on the ankles. We went in the winter because I hate hiking in the heat, but it was raining so we couldn't see the views. It wasn't crowded at all so no line a Potato Chip rock, but it didn't seem safe to stand on it because it was so slick and I hate dying when I hike.
I recommend go in the Spring.

Awesome trail, great workout, steep paved road leads to potato chip rock.
Butt kicker

Love this hike! It's a faster way to the top of Woodson by far. I can usually get to the top in just under an hour. I like the paved road, amazing views, and weaving thru giant boulders! This is also a big hang out for climbers. If your lucky you'll see them in action. If your thing is to stand on potato chip rock for that iconic picture...start early or stay later! The big downer of this hike is the traffic. There is usually a line at the rock. People take turns and it can make for awkward moments trying to be silly or cool while trying to hurry.

One of my favorite hikes. I love the paved roads and the awesome views. It's all uphill which is also a great workout! I'm always intrigued when I see people hiking up at dusk when I'm heading down as I'm not a night hiker. I never want to encounter any hungry wildlife after dark so I will pass on the night hike experience!

Faster way to get to potato chip rock