Whale Peak

Whale Peak is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until May.

I'm not sure why this is considered the Whale Peak Trail. The Maps only show the dirt road and the 1 mile trail to the pictographs. The dirt road can be bypassed by driving directly to the Pictograph trailhead and starting the hike from that point. There is a sign at the trailhead saying no dogs allowed, I think they are fine for the dirt road, but once you get to the pictograph trailhead you'll have to turn around. There really is no trail once you pass the pictographs, you kinda just follow the wash, so print a map and bring a GPS. There was a lot of rock scrambling and trying to figure out routes passed cacti. Its a super fun hike and there was absolutely no one else on the trail. I did not see a trail once I got out of the wash to head to the peak, there was a fair amount of snow, so it may have been covered (a little bushwacking was required to get to the peak). My GPS shut off for some reason in the middle of the the hike, but I would also estimate this to be about 9 miles. If you start from highway, you're gonna tack on about 8 more miles total.

Whew! Left Arizona at 6 a.m. to make it to the Smugglers trailhead by 9:30 a.m. Went with my local hiking group and had a blast. Some tips: After the petroglyphs watch for the trail (it's slight) veering left and up. Follow that to the inside of the canyon. Follow cairns to the top. There are lots of boulders so watch your step! Bring a hat as black flies can be plentiful. Make sure to sign the log book hidden under the giant boulder at the top.Our GPS rated this in total as about a 9 mile round trip hike. Nice burn!