West Vista Loop

West Vista Loop is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Ysabel, CA that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Super fun day. Great trail... lots of beautiful oaks, and wow, buckwheat blooming everywhere. Stands of white sage - absolutely gorgeous! Never seen so much in one place. Other wildflowers: Yarrow, California fuchsia, penstemon, monkey flower. Dog friendly. Amazing views. Will do again when it's not so hot! :)

This was a great hike! The first mile was a bit steep, but once you arrive to the first fork, the trail evens out. The trail was more like a one lane dirt road, which allowed me to keep clear of the poison oak (it was pretty easy to avoid, but just be aware). There are some great views of Santa Ysabel and Wynola as you get towards the top. There are also some really pretty oak groves. As indicated on the map, there are a few picnic stops along the trail, complete with an actually picnic bench. It was nice to sit on an actual table rather than a rock. I did the first loop which turned out to be 4.5 miles. To my surprise, I had cell coverage the whole way (AT&T).

Me and my dog really enjoy the hike. We saw Great heron, eagles and all kind of birds, deers, and buffalos! Very peaceful place with great views on the countryside with the iconic oaks.
I just wish that the trails were longer but the hills will keep your heart pumping for sure!

My wife and I did this during the summer with our two dogs. It starts out with a fairly steep incline for the first mile or so. Theres a couple of nature plaques on the way detailing the flora. Once you get to the gate at the top the loop starts, theres a pond on your the right hand side before the split where we saw some cows relaxing in the shade. It does get a bit warm, so make sure you bring enough water for the whole trip. There are a lot of good places to stop and take in the view, tons of little woodland creatures running about, we saw a few deer as well as a lot of different birds and lizards. Beware of the cowpies, they are pretty much everywhere. Overall it was very enjoyable, even the drive out to the trail wasn't bad. Make sure to stop by the Julien Pe Factory down the road afterwards!