West Cucamonga Truck Trail

West Cucamonga Truck Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rancho Cucamonga, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking.

old growth

I'd really nice trail after you come out of the fire Road, a lot mosquitoes, where log pans,it's just the careful with the people on bike, because isn't really a small trail, and some areas is to small for the banking and the hikers.it's not that much people walking, but it's a nice experience to see a lot of wild berries.I did 18 miles in and out.

I have hiked this trail since 2001. After the fire in 2003, it has been unmaintained. It has become overgrown and has multiple washouts. I have not seen another person on the unmaintained section of the trail for many years.

My route begins near Archibald & Wilson, over to Haven, up into Calamity Canyon (aptly named when you see the trail washouts), follow W Cucamonga Truck Trail west to Cucamonga Canyon, down to Sapphire, and back home. Its about 17 miles so it isn't an easy hike at all.

It is, however, an adventurous hike with washouts, overgrown trail, and wildlife. I've observed bobcats, mountain lions, deer, rattle snakes, and even tarantulas. It is important to note that there is evidence of BEAR activity along much of the trail but I have never seen one.

The views are nice but it needs to be very clear to see downtown LA well or the islands like Catalina.

Overall, it's a great hike if you want to go on a long, unique hike that is isolated yet close to civilization. You should have cell service most of the time once you are out of Calamity Canyon.

I plan to start some maintenance projects on the trail to cut back the plants and make the washouts safer.