Waterfalls of Mount Diablo Loop Trail

Waterfalls of Mount Diablo Loop Trail is a 6 mile loop trail located near Clayton, CA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Winter and spring rains create scenic waterfalls in this hike at Mount Diablo, the East Bay's signature peak. While Mount Diablo State Park is best known for towering vistas from the mountain's twin East Bay summits, the seasonal rains that visit the San Francisco Bay Area every year create several scenic waterfalls in the mountain's rugged canyons. This hike starts out from the Regency Gate in the East Bay town of Clayton -- parking is free in the neighborhood: be polite and do not abuse the privilege.

Nice hike the day after Thanksgiving... Was expecting bigger waterfalls but what do you expect in a dry California..

awesome trail

Falls trail really needs some trail crew loving. Lots of erosion and small dirt slides cover spots on the trail.

Great

Really nice hike. Recommend good hiking shoes loose gravel at times. During this time no waterfalls August. Pay attention to the hiking map as there are many different trails. Parking is at a dead end of a residential area.

Enjoyed the hike, and the waterfalls were beautiful, but this should be classified as a difficult hike, not moderate. The actual waterfall trail is technical single-track, some of it right at the edge of cliffs. Several of the trails involved are very steep. That being said, my friend and I had a great time, and would do it again - just with the knowledge that it's more of a strenuous hike than advertized.

Beautiful hike thru grasslands, oaks, forest and sunny hill side. We hiked at a leisurely pace and it took us 3 hours. There are some spots that are a bit tough to maneuver, overall fairly easy. Definitely wet after rain, it was still damp in places even though it didn't rain for about a month.
Well worth the 1 hour drive from Berkeley.

Bring plenty of water. Too bad it's so dry and no waterfalls. Good workout and varied terrain. Narrow and steep in parts.

Loved the views and the kids enjoyed the geocashing. Will do again. Great Sunday hike with friends

Parts of this trail are beautiful, don't get me wrong. However, the entire time I was walking the tree I noticed that the thick-brushed ledges overheard me were perfect hunting grounds for mountain lions. After walking four miles out on the path I realized I was being stalked by one. It was not until the last half mile that I made eye contact with the 200 + pound beast and luckily ran into a family of four when I started running. I will never do this trail again.

Whew! I'm new to hiking and this trail was a doosy for me at some parts but the view was totally worth it. Once we got into the heart of the Cabinet Oaks Road, the incline got pretty serious and the sweating began! The trails were easy to follow but once on Falls Trail, it gets very narrow! Between POI #5 and POI#6, the trail is hard to distinguish and we were momentarily lost but picked it up thanks to my trusty GPS and the Everytrail App. The Waterfalls themselves were a little underwhelming since we haven't had a lot of rain but the view of the Clayton Valley was spectacular. The rest of the trail was great once down the hill, shaded and a slow steep. We cut back over to the Cabinet Oaks Road via the Fire Road and did not hike the Back Creek Trail, my group and I were worn out so we called it quits but it was a great route and a great workout!