Volcan Mountain Trail

Volcan Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Volcan Mountain Trail is located near the old mining town of Julian. The trail follows an old road to the summit and this pleasant day hike provides excellent vistas.

19 minutes ago

Lovely hike. I was welcome with wild deers and saw a snake on the way down. It was a nice cool weather despite that it was hot in SD. I am definitely coming back.

Great hike with wonderful views. They get the award for best trailhead.
But what is up with the flies? At times I felt like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown.

Fun hike pretty easy really, it's strep no switchbacks but not difficult. To go up and have the wind whipping and see for miles is awesome. Directions are great!

This was a pretty fun trail we started around 9am and finished a couple hours later. The way up was easy enough with some shady spots and a breeze which definitely helped! We took the 5 Oak trail on the way down which was nice to get different scenery but was more within the forest. There was also poison oak.
We noticed every time we got in the shade, a swarm of flies wouldn't leave us alone! That was our biggest complaint. We saw a sheriff exiting the trail just as we started with a net covering his whole head and I wouldn't do this trail again with out one of those.
Also fun, at the bottom of the hill/entrance point there a couple wineries with tasting rooms and a u-pick apple orchard.

I hiked this on superbowl sunday 2016 and still made it home to watch the game. I got lucky because it was an incredibly clear day albeit very windy with santa ana winds. It was clear enough to see the Salton Sea to the east and Catalina Island in the west. Never imagined that i could get that lucky. I posted some pictures here that just dont do it justice. Ive hiked dozens of peaks all over SAan Diego county and this is dfinetly my favorite view. You can really observe alot of different peaks from this vantage point. Highly recommend this hike for anyone that hasnt already done.
One last thing- I stayed on the fireroad all the way up but on the way down split off on the Five Oaks trail which is a very nice single track with great views from the side of the mountain.

One of my FAVORITE hikes! Good distance, secluded, and amazing views! Could see the Salton sea on one side and the ocean on the other. Nice blot of wild flowers at the top too. Just gorgeous. I recommend this any day. Lots of shade too.

Gorgeous hike, definitely would recommend the 5 Oaks Trail, beautiful views.

Pretty sweet hike. Views for days. Take the five oaks trail section, it is really peaceful and pretty.

Beautiful. We made it to the meadow

Went with true pup and had a blast. Breezy day, beautiful views, a fairly easy hike in my book. Awesome view of the sultan sea from the top. Ate delicious pie in Julian on the way down. Thumbs up.

I would rate it moderate-difficult, as the elevation change is challenging. Keep an eye out for rattlesnakes also, as we saw 2 of them on this hike yesterday.

Gaining 1,200 feet in 2.5 miles is a challenge for most hikers; perhaps taxing for older (us) or inexperienced hikers. But oh, the view! There are several spots on top where you can see 50+ miles to the west, and even farther to the east including the Salton Sea and the Chocolate Mountains beyond. Closer in, you can pick out communities like Ranchita and Shelter Valley. Stop to smell the lupine...

This trail is marked as easy but I would consider it to be moderate to hard. It is uphill for at least 2 miles and then tapers off for the last mile up. I took the trail to the summit (not the Five Oaks trail). We hiked in the late afternoon and others were hiking down as we hiked up. Saw multiple groups of people. The views at the top are incredible on a clear day! Nice wide trail so we brought our dog on leash.

We a mountain a Lauren at Thursday, Mar 24. Light east winds of clear and arid air - outstanding the view the Pacific, SD downtown, Borrego Mt., Salton Sea...

Take the hiking trail up to the midpoint of the mountain, the views are great and there are less people.

We really enjoyed this hike!
We took the main service road up to the summit and then took the five oaks trail back down for a total of about 5.5 miles. The views from the top are really lovely. We pretty much had the trail to ourselves which was really nice.
We started up the trail around 8:30am so the ground was mostly still frozen after recent snow and rain. On way down we did run into a bit of slippery mud as the day started to warm up, but nothing too treacherous.

Been on this hike many times but just got this app. It's a good hike up. Views are awesome.