Volcan Mountain Trail

Volcan Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Volcan Mountain Trail is located near the old mining town of Julian. The trail follows an old road to the summit and this pleasant day hike provides excellent vistas.

Immediate and steady moderate climbing through the first 1.25 miles of the hike. Second half of the ascent was easier and primarily through high meadows. Views of 60+ miles to the Coronado Islands are possible on a clear day. Recommend hiking around late afternoon towards dusk for sunset views.

A lot of one way up hill and one way down hill but fun hike.

Fun hike!

Great hike....highly recommended it...

This was a beautiful trail to hike but, not a good hike for beginners. We had 2 non-hikers in our group & the constant climb was a little much for them. The hike down however, was easy peasy.

Friendly people on the trail and cute pups everywhere

Fun and beautiful. Serene.

Views are unreal.

great trek around stunning views. really easy to navigate especially for a 1st time visitor.

It was nice to hike with kids. It was little bit hard for them, but they were really excited on the top.

Great views, kind of steep but it was cool and breezy too. I'll definitely come back when it gets greener.

It was a beautiful hike. The breeze made it very nice. Definitely time to go would be early Fall or Spring

Lovely hike. I was welcome with wild deers and saw a snake on the way down. It was a nice cool weather despite that it was hot in SD. I am definitely coming back.

Great hike with wonderful views. They get the award for best trailhead.
But what is up with the flies? At times I felt like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown.
The 5 Oak Trail is awesome and we were glad we took it on the way downhill. Narrow and steep in places.
Just loved it overall.

Fun hike pretty easy really, it's strep no switchbacks but not difficult. To go up and have the wind whipping and see for miles is awesome. Directions are great!

This was a pretty fun trail we started around 9am and finished a couple hours later. The way up was easy enough with some shady spots and a breeze which definitely helped! We took the 5 Oak trail on the way down which was nice to get different scenery but was more within the forest. There was also poison oak.
We noticed every time we got in the shade, a swarm of flies wouldn't leave us alone! That was our biggest complaint. We saw a sheriff exiting the trail just as we started with a net covering his whole head and I wouldn't do this trail again with out one of those.
Also fun, at the bottom of the hill/entrance point there a couple wineries with tasting rooms and a u-pick apple orchard.

I hiked this on superbowl sunday 2016 and still made it home to watch the game. I got lucky because it was an incredibly clear day albeit very windy with santa ana winds. It was clear enough to see the Salton Sea to the east and Catalina Island in the west. Never imagined that i could get that lucky. I posted some pictures here that just dont do it justice. Ive hiked dozens of peaks all over SAan Diego county and this is dfinetly my favorite view. You can really observe alot of different peaks from this vantage point. Highly recommend this hike for anyone that hasnt already done.
One last thing- I stayed on the fireroad all the way up but on the way down split off on the Five Oaks trail which is a very nice single track with great views from the side of the mountain.

One of my FAVORITE hikes! Good distance, secluded, and amazing views! Could see the Salton sea on one side and the ocean on the other. Nice blot of wild flowers at the top too. Just gorgeous. I recommend this any day. Lots of shade too.