Vincent Gap to Mt. Baden-Powell Trail

Vincent Gap to Mt. Baden-Powell Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from La Canada, CA: Vincent Gap is on the Angeles Crest Highway 53 miles from La Canada or 5.5 miles from Big Pines, if you are approaching from the Cajon Pass. A National Forest Adventure Pass is required for your vehicle while parked in this area.

Friday oct. 21 we did the whole up n down and took a break of 40 mins to have lunch up on the summit... started at 9:50am from the Vincent gap n hit the peak at 12:17... and we made it to the car at 2:20pm .. 20mins more then what I was planning.. weather was just perfect.. my friend almost die but she didn't lol.. planning on doing it again soon

Wonderful shady trail with constant up. Once we cross the longer switchbacks the trail ends on a scenic note. Perfect weather to do trail run as well.

hard hike not as bad as the six pack peaks. The sign says 4 miles (8 round trip). The whole trail is nothing but switch backs.

Supper fun hike but a TON of switch backs(44 to be exact) Great views from the top and plenty of shade until you summit. Also a very well marked trail and in good shape. Good to get started early so you have enough time to finish

Beginners. Our first summit. We've been doing easy to moderate hikes. This was our first "big" one. 8 miles round trip (according to the sign at the trail head). 2800ft elevation gain. 9399ft at top.

Start 8:39am
Summit 1:30pm
Descend 2:11pm
End 4:27pm

QUICK OVERVIEW:
Adventure Pass. Water. Snacks/food for refuel at the top. Camera. Hiking poles/sticks was helpful for us. Sunscreen (high elevation).

Take Hwy 2. Park at Vincent Gulch. Good size parking lot with bathroom. Trailhead is a couple of miles from Grassy Hollow Visitor Ctr. It starts steep with no end in sight. A bench to rest about a mile up. Magnificent views along the way. Trail well maintained. Shaded 90% of trail. Certain parts are rocky. Minimal bugs Cool temp (7/9/16) as you get higher of course.

We made many stops to take pix/videos and had snacks along the way. As everyone stated, MANY, MANY, MANY switchbacks. Especially steep the last mile but the view was all worth it.

A 2 day Backpacking trip with my brother up Mt Baden Powell on Memorial Weekend 2016. The views were incredible. Remember to bring water, there isn't any on the mountain. You are required to have a adventure permit to park. If you plan to stay the night the wind starts about 8 pm and doesn't let up until about 7am. It is truly an amazing place. There is more about it in my blog along with pics http://lovz2hike.com/2016/05/30/mtbadenpowell2016

Wow, what a Hike. better be in pretty good shape to go the distance. I went on a Weekday and can only imagine the trails on a weekend, went on a weekday and purposely timed it so i would run into some Pacific Crest Trail thru hikers, just wanted to chat and live the dream through there eyes a little... had a Nice long visit at the summit. decided to go another mile or To My Burnham, very cool the beginning is just a long queit walk in the woods then a 1/2 mile from the summit it gets spectacular and the walk to Burnham was unreal. a storm was coming in and had great views at the beginning and just fun weather being IN the clouds near the end. will do again... on a weekday!
Always take a GPS and treking poles

Loved it. Lucky we had a GPS in the group. The result was snowed over towards the top. Worth it :)

Because it's close to Los Angeles. Wrightwood is an awesome little, tiny, town...The Village Grind...Outstanding service, food, and the espresso is awesome! 44 switchbacks, steep, continual, climbing, switchbacks on this hike. It is pretty awesome. Best time to go..mid-November..cool, but not freezing...will do it again. Sign the book at the top! Next time I plan on taking a waterproof bag to put the logs in because one day...they might be needed. Or someone may want to see if any of the friends or family have been there. The old trees are beautiful. Bristle cone pines...lovely...The trails are maintained nicely and of course, if I see any trash or especially plastic..I pick it up. We all must do our part. Thinner, cleaner air...pace yourself. Have fun and keep it smart and safe folks!

I had a great time doing this hike today, very well taking care of trail

This is the second half of my two favorite hikes in the San Gabriels, still can’t decide if I like Mt. Baden-Powell or Cucamonga Peak more.

My wife Tracy and I arrived at Vincent Gap at around 6:00am and got hiking so quickly that I soon realized I had forgotten to change into proper hiking shoes. I turned around and changed and we were on our way. We stopped a little beyond the halfway mark at my favorite break spot and after a few minutes we continued climbing. The sun rising through the forest made for a magical day and some pretty good photos. We reached the summit and walked just beyond to a nice fallen tree, which made for a great bench facing Mt. San Antonio. We noticed that no one hiked passed the summit to where we were seated which was surprising since it offers a comfortable place to sit and have a snack and or nap with incredible views. After about an hour-long break we began our descent. On the way back on Angeles Crest Highway, we stopped for a picnic at Charlton Flats Picnic Area. I only mention this because it was hilariously windy at the picnic area, so much so that a full can of soda wouldn’t even stay on the table without blowing over. We finished our lunch in the car and laughed all the way home.

It was a hot day for a hike, so I decided to go up "on the roof" where it would be cooler. I had wanted to do this hike for some time, and I was fortunate in picking a good day for it: not too hot, not too cool, and not too hazy. Reviewing my GPS track, I count 40 switchbacks on the nearly non-stop climb up to the summit from the trailhead at Vincent Saddle. The trail snakes up the north and east faces of the mountain, passing from oak and pine scrub through pines and into alpine tundra near the top. There's no reliable water in summer (Lamel Spring was a small puddle of stagnant water), and the trail will likely have you huffing and puffing, so pack plenty of water. Like I said, the weather was not hot, and I went through 3 quarts before reaching the summit. I also managed to bag a few geocaches along the trail, making it a very nice way to spend a warm afternoon.

It's a non-stop upward climb but it sure is nice. You really feel like you're somewhere different on this hike. Crisp air, mountain scenery, it's really beautiful. I like this one better than Baldy.

For turn-by-turn directions, check out my blog:

Awesome challenging and strenuous! Beautiful sunny and warm day. Cinder'Ella'and I ended up on this trail quite by fate. Planned to do miner gulch, but last weeks rain washed it out, so 4 hours later we finished the hike to the top of this summit, spectacular 360 views, clear skys, great pics, after the rains. Two words-steep, steep.Didn't bring enough water for Ella, so I prayed a hiker would ask me if I had enough water for my dog, and that's exactly how it went down. Ella was offered enough water to satisfy her need. (Thanks to God - who answers prayers/provides). After reaching the summit, we ate couple handfuls of trailmix and a few atkins peanut butter bars, took a brief boots off ten minute snooze then headed back down, which took 2 more hours. Friendly hikers, smell of pine and great views along the way up as well. Personally, I would say this was not difficult, but very strenuous and gruelling at times, but well worth it.

This hike is up all the way there is no straight or down just up. The first one is the steepest and after the 7th or 8th it is less but always up. That said well worth the climb. Incredible 360° view for a hundred miles in some directions.

This was an excellent hike and I still had snow and ice to contend with on portions of the upper trail. Stellar views, great SOTA activation and all around killer day! See video blog on my website for footage of this hike and others.