Viejas Mountain Trail

Viejas Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I love this trail. I take my pups and it's nice not to run into a lot of people.

Enjoyed this hike. It was hard to find when you park we went the wrong way at first so for first timers just go up the hill with the rocks. Super rocky and steep and definitely took a lot of breaks but the view is amazing and so worth it!

Good little trail, steep and a good 50min quadburner. I ran in rain and fog so no view at all, but I'll be back.

Rocky and steep trail but gorgeous views! The entrance is kind of hidden probably wouldn't have found it if I didn't use this app. No signs that I saw either. Wear your hiking shoes! You can see all the way past cowles mountain to the water.

Fun lots of breaks going up.

Love this hike. It doesn't have a lot of switchbacks making the majority of the trail straight up the hill. It's a great workout; really gets the blood pumping. The views are amazing on a clear day!!! You can see all the way out to Coronado! At a slow but steady pace it took me about an hour to get up to the top. This is a very do-able hike!

Steeper then originally expected, great views from the top, can see down to the south into Jamul (Lyons Peak, Lawson Peak) and can see out to Point Loma and Coronado. Trail isn't too wide, but overall not bad. Great place to watch the sunset.

Followed the directions to trail from the destination in the AllTrails app, but did not park at water towers when Siri said I reached the destination, drove past up to where the road widens, there are some spray painted rocks on the right, the trail head is in that area, will see the opening in the fence.

This was good exercise. Too much brush in the way. This was a killer hike for my daughter and I. We went to the very top and beyond. We were told there was an Indian burial ground up top. We never did find it. Invest in hiking boots. Running shoes are not good to hike in. I fell on my way back down.

I've hiked Viejas Mountain countless times, it used to be my Saturday morning ritual. I no longer live in the area, but any time I visit I try to fit in a hike. As many of the other reviewers said, it's a short hike that can be tackled in a couple hours. A great workout with a rewarding view at the top.

Amazing hike. Steep uphill climb but an easy trek down. Can be a bit hard to find the trailhead but if you hit a gate you've driven too far. Started this hike at 6:30 and took our time at the summit. We were back in our cars by 9:30 and got breakfast at a cafe near by. Definitely recommend this hike.

Short trail but a great workout!

Parking not that great. I had to ask someone where the trail was. This hike is very steep, rocky and overgrown brush. I brought my 14 year old daughter with me. It took us 2 hours to get to the top. My fitbit said it was 2 miles to the top. Indian burial grounds are to the left about another half mile. We had to head out do didn't get to the burial grounds. It is actually a total 4 miles and back down. About 5 miles if you get to the burial grounds. I was thinking it was a total 2.5 miles from the description. Bring lots of water. If you are not fit I do not recommend it. This was only my 2nd hike. My first was Cowels a few weeks ago which was much easier. I do walk every day so I'm moderately fit. It made my daughter and I very exhausted. We made several stops on way up.

Steep hike, I don't recommend brining a dog on this hike due to the trail being steep, rocky, narrow and a little over grown. I had trouble finding the trailhead. I parked right past the water tanks and walked up and right past the trailhead. I eventually found it, I would like to do this one again but without my doggy.

This is not an easy hike. I have done El Cajon Mountain many times and this hike seems more tiring for some reason, maybe because it is straight up the whole time (except for a short semi-level part) and no switchbacks. The view is insane and is better than El Cajon Mountain. My best time was 45 minutes to the summit. Very pretty hike, and the most people I saw on one of my hikes here was four.

Living around the area this is a hike that you must do! Great views from the top of the surrounding area. And it's the trail that you drop on some music and you can get a great burn in the legs because your going up the whole way. But a great uphill trail run just watch your step! Loose rocks the whole way. Make sure once you get to the top to walk the ridge for just a few minutes and make it to the Indian burial ground!

Rocky path but great hike. Amazing views!