Valencia Peak Trail

Valencia Peak Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until September.

beach

Valencia Peak is a coastal mountain located within Montana De Oro State Park. This trail offers gorgeous views of the Central Coast, great views of Morro Bay, Cayucos and you can see Cambria and beyond on clear days. Also amazing views of Spooners Cove and to the south. With a little over a 1000+ feet of elevation gain, this is a great hike for hikers of all skill levels. If you have less hikes under your belt or are not in perfect physical shape leave a little more time for breaks along the way. It is doable for most it just may take a little longer. Park at the same parking as the Bluffs Trail, the trail begins on the east side of the south area of the parking. As you work your way up the views begin right away as you ascend up onto a saddle, and the rest of the hike is before your eyes. The hike begins to get a little harder the closer you get to the top, but before you know it you are there! Once you get there, you feel like you are on top of the world! It is well worth it! And the hike down is 100 times easier!

Loved it! Decided to hike this on a whim. Did not disappoint even though it was foggy at the top it's a beautiful hike!

Great - 4.8 miles from Spooners Cove to Valencia Peak trail junction with Bebe Trail and back. Saw a mother deer and her fawn and quail. Saw snakes marks in the trail. Beautiful hike, trail and views. We'll do the peak next time!

Nice quick hike with a great panoramic view.

nice hike.
kinda rocky

Sick hike worth it

Beautiful and wide open. Can't beat the ocean views. This trail is moderately steep in places but is also pretty short so it doesn't hurt you too bad.

one of my favorite costal hikes

add more hiking by turning left at the Valencia trail fork. go around the peak before coming back around the back side

It was a awesome view I will do it again when in the area

We didn't make it all the way to the top. We went to the first peak which they call Jr Valencia. It's a nice path but I would not classify this as easy. It's a pretty steep climb. The views are amazing and worth the climb.

Loved this hike! Great views, nice uphill climb. Our seven year old was able to make it to the top. Can't wait to do it again!

I write this after having gone up the trail yesterday. I think we made it about halfway before the kids with us (7 total) decided it was time to turn around. I don't think we realized what we were in for before heading up this one! That said, all of the kids now fully intend on conquering it!

From what we did see, the views are phenomenal, the trail is easy to follow but absolutely challenging. If you are not a hiker, pick a smaller/shorter one to start on. It will not support something like a stroller, but wearing a baby or child is totally doable. We wore our 1yr old and our 3yr old walked the whole way, insistent that she could do it. ;)

There are some parts that narrow significantly, and several spots where the rocks, large and small, become loose and possibly dangerous. Watch your step as some look stable, but are not. There are some very cool areas off the trail that you can explore and enjoy. Our kids loved the large areas of sandstone and discovering the different stages of the rock formation.

Overall fantastic experience, I cannot wait to go back - both on my own, and with the kids! :)

I really enjoyed this hike. The view that overlooks the coastline and Morro bay.

This is one of the go to hikes on the central coast of California. A great workout with great views. It is a bit of a drive from my location, but I try to fit it in a few times a year. The trail is well maintained and well marked.