Upper Yosemite Falls Trail

Upper Yosemite Falls Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, CA that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Enjoy the thrilling views of looking down from the top of Yosemite Fall. Yosemite Fall, dropping 2,425 feet to the bottom of the valley from the top, is one of the most visited places in Yosemite National Park. The fall consists of three sections: upper falls, middle cascade and lower falls. While most people visit lower falls only, upper falls is definitely worthy of visiting for its eye-opening views and hiker's self-satisfaction of reaching it. The trail to Upper Yosemite Fall is about 3 miles one way, gaining approximately 3,000 feet in elevation along the way. Once you get to the top of the valley, you can go to Yosemite Fall Overlook, a small platform near the mouth of Upper Yosemite Fall, to enjoy the thrilling views of looking down from above. The trailhead is located in the Sunnyside campground (Camp 4) near Yosemite Lodge. In essence, the hike can be divided into sections as the following: from the trailhead to Columbia Rock, from Columbia to the lower gate, from the lower gate to the upper gate and from the upper gate to the overlook. It generally takes 6 - 8 hours for average hikers to complete the roundtrip hike. The trail is generally open for the whole year, but can be difficult to hike in winter due to snow, especially beyond Columbia Rock.

I feel like I'm in good shape and love hiking but MAN this trail kicked my butt haha...it was so worth it in the end!

This hike was pretty difficult for three girls from Florida that don't hike. This was our first hike in Yosemite and it kicked our butts. It was so worth it though, the views were absolutely amazing. We ran out of water halfway up and drank from a spring that was flowing out of the mountain. It was so delicious! We only did this because we still had a long way to go and were very thirsty. I would definitely recommend this hike. I would also recommend doing some smaller hikes to warm up to this one. Our legs were extremely sore for a week! I would love to do it again though.

Love this trail and my experience is here in my blog..

I love this hike! Did it in 100 degree weather and it kicked my butt. It was totally worth it. Got naked at the top and jumped in just before the brink. A must do in Yosemite. You must bring plenty of water. We had two people in our group turn back due to dehydration. There are some points where you can take a drink if you're not worried about getting sick.

Awesome trail. Very steep but worth every minute. The view of half Dome Is spectacular

The first mile up is incline switchbacks. Then you get to a railed off point with great views of Half Dome. Most people turn around after that point. But if you pass the switchbacks keep going because the hardest part is over. The next mile is easy; the trail is either flat or down incline. The rest of the trail is up incline "stairs/steps". Once you get to the top there are two viewpoints. One clearly labeled "overlook" with breath taking views of the Valley. The other point is not labeled (follow North Dome sign) it's where the water of the water falls are. If the falls are dry there'll be swimming holes which you can use to cool your feet. If the falls are blooming you can stand over the water on the bridge.

Take 2.5-3 liters of water per person, lunch and snacks.

Such a good hike. Definitely the most challenging one I've done yet. Make sure you bring enough water because it's a struggle to get to the top. So rewarding with an amazing view! We also went in the water at the top because we needed a little cool down. The waterfall didn't have a lot of water being that it's the middle of August. Still so worth it!

Absolutely beautiful. The view from here is fantastic! TIP: At the top, there's a railed off area, but go to the left before that area and you'll have a better view.

There are so many hikes in Yosemite that would be more worth your time. The only views we had were when we got to the top of the lower falls and when we summited the upper falls. If you run out of hikes to do in Yosemite, then this would be good!

Probably the toughest trail I have done so far, behind the mist. Great sense of accomplishment when I got it done! Try not to be on it mid-day, it gets very warm! Great views, crowded, but not as bad as the mist trail. Take you time, & bring lots of water!

Hard trail. Can't hide much from the sun on back half and the incline isn't for sissies. Descent is slippery due to loose gravel over stones. Bring lots of water. Lots. Views are world class. Can't miss! 2.5 hrs up. 2 hours down with party of four.

It was a strenuous but very rewarding hike. The views throughout the whole thing were amazing and definitely worth it. We we're able to go swimming at the top of the falls. I would recommend starting early and bringing lots of water.

Amazing waterfall! best views of the fall are about half way through the trail after slogging up to the top the view point gave me great views of the the valley a sliver of a view of the falls.

Life changing

Very strenuous but the views from the top make it worth it! Make sure to carry a lot of water.