Twin Peaks Trail

Twin Peaks Trail is a 1.6 mile out and back trail located near Poway, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible from October until June.

This is a great hike. Like most of the reviews, it does get a bit confusing near the summit. Fortunately you'll have a phone signal the whole time, so using this app will help you navigate the loop. We got a little bit lost on the way down and had to bushwhack a bit to get back to the trail. The hike is a great departure from the "shopping mall" atmosphere of nearby Mt. Woodson and Iron Mountain... It feels quite remote and rugged, despite being flanked by a residential neighborhood. We saw only 2 other people out here on a Saturday afternoon. I would recommend pants instead of shorts due to how narrow the trail gets in spots. I kind of like the fact that this hike makes you stop and think, and use your sense of navigation when the terrain becomes rugged and confusing. I'll definitely do this one again.

Great hike! Some decent inclines and amazing wildlife. Saw rabbits, quail, lizards, hawks, etc. Gets a little easy to lost the trail at the top.

A quick hike, lost the trail by the summit, had to scramble over some rocks...fun times!

Rock climbing at the top. Not for me.

It's a good hike to start with...rather than going to a longer and higher elevations ...

Fun, even though I got lost. I thought I was on the trail but my choices seemed to parallel the mapped trail fairly often. No worries though - keep going up until you want to start coming down. You're not truly bush whacking but once off the fire road the trail isn't exactly 'marked'. Plenty of previous hiker's footprints helped lead the way.

Great views. The trail starts from the park and is mostly a service road until a single track splits off about half way up. It's not marked so good luck with that. Not sure if you follow the service road where it goes. My two kids, 8 and 5, made it to the top no problem.

If you don't have time for Mt. Woodson or Iron Mountain. This is an excellent alternative. The trailhead is conveniently located and very easily found. The terrain is steep & rocky at times perfect for a good workout. It's only around 2 miles RT which took us about an hr to hike up and back. You are rewarded with 360 deg views of San Diego. I highly recommend this trails for those who just have about an 1 hour to hike.

My son and I made the mistake of climbing up here too late in the day, and it was sunset by the time we reached the top. That meant descending back to the trailhead (located at a small neighborhood park) in complete darkness. Good thing we had enough battery power in our iPhones to launch our flashlight apps.

Other than that, this is a nice moderate hike. We did this during the week late in the afternoon, and we were the only ones hiking this peak. The hiking trail is wide and well-defined, but when you get to the trail that leads off the main one, it becomes very narrow and at times not very well defined. Which led me to think that this isn't a very well-traveled path.

It would be nice if they had more signs from midway to the top. The beginning of the trail had signs and even a few benches for resting. Other than that you were pretty much on your own beyond that point.

I'll have to do this climb again under better circumstances. But if you're looking for a peak to climb within Poway and a quick escape into the wilderness, this is a good place, and the views are quite nice at the top.