Trona Pinnacles Trail

Trona Pinnacles Trail is a 39.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trona, California that offers scenic views. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options.

39.2 miles 2034 feet Out & Back

off road driving

The coordinates on this website took me too far, closer to the plant instead of the off turn for the Pinnacles. Once I got there it was about a 30 minute drive in on a dirt road to get to the Pinnacles. All I can say is even though it is desert colored terrain, it is still beautiful and almost deafeningly quiet. I'm really glad I went. Apparently you can camp there as well.

Great place to stop on the way to Death Valley. The dirt road is well maintained and I was able to make it to the pinnacles in a 2wd low clearance passenger car with no problems. You can spend as much or as little time as you want here wandering around on unmarked trails. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

You might recognize this otherworldly landscape from having seen it used as a backdrop in film and television, most notably the climax of Star Trek V. The "trail" tends to be rather informal; you basically wander around among the spires to your heart's content. For those who prefer not to get out of their cars, you can tour the pinnacles using the network of unpaved roads and tracks that crisscross the area (70% of these are not shown on the map). I was out here camping overnight on my way to Death Valley. (Primitive camping is allowed, pack-it-in, pack-it-out. There is a vault toilet in the main parking area, and fires are permitted in established fire rings - bring your own firewood). If you enjoy desert camping, or photographing weird landscapes, then this place is for you.