EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Trans-Catalina Trail

Trans-Catalina Trail is a 34.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Avalon, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

34.5 miles 7690 feet Point to Point

This is a long, strenuous trek across the entirety of Catalina Island. But the views are amazing. Beautiful blue ocean views in every direction in the morning, and incredible solitude, serenity and interior island views in the afternoon. Most backpackers do this over four days and depart from Twin Harbors.

My favorite backpacking trail in Southern California. It's my annual birthday trip (free roundtrip on the Catalina Express if you arrive on your birthday, must register beforehand).

To get the most out of your trip. Take it slow.

I like arrive early and make camp at Avalon's Hermit Gulch Campground for our first night. This way we can kayak, SUP, snorkel, etc for a whole day before we start our hike.

Wonderful coastal views until you get deeper into the island and are greeted by herds of Bison and the endless sight of Catalina's rolling hills.

Our most favorite spot on the island is Little Harbor. If your time window allows, spend a night there and do some rock jumping into the ocean.