Trans-Catalina Trail

Trans-Catalina Trail is a 34.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Avalon, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

34.5 miles 8909 feet Point to Point

beach

This is a long, strenuous trek across the entirety of Catalina Island. But the views are amazing. Beautiful blue ocean views in every direction in the morning, and incredible solitude, serenity and interior island views in the afternoon. Most backpackers do this over four days and depart from Twin Harbors.

My favorite backpacking trail in Southern California. It's my annual birthday trip (free roundtrip on the Catalina Express if you arrive on your birthday, must register beforehand).

To get the most out of your trip. Take it slow.

I like arrive early and make camp at Avalon's Hermit Gulch Campground for our first night. This way we can kayak, SUP, snorkel, etc for a whole day before we start our hike.

Wonderful coastal views until you get deeper into the island and are greeted by herds of Bison and the endless sight of Catalina's rolling hills.

Our most favorite spot on the island is Little Harbor. If your time window allows, spend a night there and do some rock jumping into the ocean.

Black Jack campground is about as far away from "Catalina" that you can be. It feels like you are up in the mountains! There are pine trees everywhere, planted, I guess at a time that no one cared about planting non-native trees. There is a cool barbeque pit that has been there what looks like forever!
Just be careful...when you wake up in the morning, there just may be a bison standing in front of your tent!

Awesome picturs, Jeff!