Training Hill

Training Hill is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice an steep, just as I like it. had a great hike. It was my first time in this area and will look forward to the other trails in the area.

Kick ass hike. Good workout and beautiful views. It's always cold in the morning, even in summer. Love it

That first mile+ is definitely major kick-ass but doable by this ol' gal. The rest of the trail is beautiful and primarily downhill.

This is a really good hike. I liked the steepness and I can see why this one is named "Training Hill". I would recommend doing this Loop as a trainer for something like Pyramid Peak. Saw lots of runners and plenty of horses. Will do some side and connector trails next time.

Very challenging hike for the 1st mile or so. I did the trail counter clockwise, great training for Half Dome. There are snakes, eyes out.

wow, this was a really good workout, worth it if you go all the way around. first 1.5 miles is uphill, lots of elevation gain but the rest is a steady decline..... make lefts at the forks and you should stay on the trail.

Trail changes all the time but the experience is always great. Watch out for cats at night!

This trail was more difficult than expected which is why I fell in love with it even more! The first time I hiked the trail I came across a rattle snake, so keep your eyes peeled in the evening when it starts to cool off. They like to come out at that time. The second time I hiked the trail we did it twice, which was killer! But great!
No rattlers that time.
The trail is truly enjoyable.

Went with my sister and her dog. Not many people on it because it goes straight up. Very steep and difficult. It was enjoyable but no views and doesn't really lead anywhere besides Cool.

The trail was quite difficult for the uphill portion. The incline is quite steep but luckily has plenty of shade. The back half has a steady decline down which was great for jogging down. Sadly not too much in terms of excellent views, but a great workout.

In all of its various seasonal changes, I love this for a great workout close to home. When I have time I do the loop but for the benefits, last time did the up and down....oh my sore shins! The WST section is really pretty thanks to some rain!

GreAt I recommend going either for the sunset or sunrise

Great!
It was definitely steep but worth the workout!! Moderate to difficult depending on your level of fitness!

Great work out!

great peaceful hike especially in may

Great hike. Scenic views. Moderate incline trails. Some erosion on the steeper trail. Just watch out for horse & dog droppings.

Always a great workout. I agree with other reviews that this is not a pristine "destination" hike. But rather a locals spot. Nice snow cap mtn views winter and spring and plenty of shade in summer on the steep parts. Someone asked about pay parking if free spots are filled. Two options 1) Coming down hwy 49 from Auburn instead of turning right across bridge to the free spots - go straight. Pay parking (or use your annual Poppy pass) is on right side of road sort of on shoulder a little past the bridge - or continue a bit further and there is more spots by the bathrooms on left. 2) or you turn right across bridge and continue past the free parking on right and you will see a turn off road on your left to more pay parking.