Trail Canyon Falls

Trail Canyon Falls is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tujunga, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sunland, CA: Drive 5 miles up Big Tujunga Canyon to a dirt road on the left. (At mile 2.0, according to the roadside mileage signs). Proceed 0.2-mile uphill to a fork, go right and descend 0.2-mile to a parking area.

4 minutes ago

Great trail overall but be warned you will have to cross several rushing rivers by walking across not so big logs. Also beware of ticks as I did find one on me after hiking the trail. Will definitely be back soon as the rainy weather is perfect for optimal waterfall experience.

It was beautiful full Falls so cold air that we seen Mother Nature so green

This was a great hike. We went to the bottom of the falls as well as the top. We went as far up as we could and we didn't find anything but some great canyon views and a peaceful hike.

#waterfallschasing and the best one by far!! so worth it

Beautiful waterfall, trail well maintained, the best thing is that there's no graffiti.. recommended

The trail was great. This trail is nice and short, great for a day hike. When you get the top of the builders it may seem like there is no way down but there is a rope that helps you down. I'd suggest to get here early because it get super crowded; the trail near the builders is narrow so it becomes a hassle with a lot of people, not to mention the parking.

This was a beautiful trail, for sure. The farther up the trail, the more obstructions you have to watch out for, though. If all you want to see is the impressive waterfall, then your hike in will be pretty short, but be prepared to climb down some pretty steep cliffsides if you want more than a distant view. Once you pass the falls, the trail gets progressively more difficult to recognize and traverse. There are a bunch of fallen trees blocking the path. We were not able to complete it. We were short by about 1 mile as it was no longer safe to continue. It was great exploring, though.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this hike! Visited yesterday for the very first time and though it was a bit harder and longer than anticipated, it was fantastic. Some helpful advice: wear waterproof shoes or boots as you'll cross several creeks and balance on rocks / logs to get across. Pack lots of water, snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat - the sun can be brutal and while hiking up to the fall, it's really hot and not much shade at all. Parking - there's a small dirt lot directly off of the main road but if it's full, parking is fine on the side of the road. Walk up and stay to the right. The path to the left goes up quite a ways with beautiful views of the city but no waterfall. There is some climbing involved in order to get down to the fall but it is well worth it. Overall - a fantastic hike of over 7 miles.

Okay here is how to get to this Glorious Hidden location.... Use the AllTrails app for GPS directions. You're basically going up Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. in Sunland. Until mile marker 2.0. Then park along that gate on the left side of the Road or drive down the road for a parking lot in case it is full.

From the Road to the Falls and back it's 6 miles. That mile and a half to the Falls is all uphill and brutal. I literally wanted to quit like 5 times. Then again I am a beginning hiker. To get to the Falls itself you will literally have to do some rock climbing. So wear good traction shoes. You will do about 10 water crossing. So expect to get wet and be able to walk across logs and hop rocks. This is not an easy Trail but worth the Waterfall at the end.

I was dying, luckily my hiking bestie offered to carry my pack while walking uphill. She literally carried my pack for me for parts of the Trail because I just wanted to cry, I was so tired. Okay maybe that's a little dramatic but it's true. Maybe the distance was part of it as well, but this Trail was by Far the hardest Trail I have done. Have fun.

The water is seasonal and mostly dry, so get here and see these amazing falls before its gone.

The waterfall is beautiful! Pack a lot of water and snacks. Please NO LITTERING! The hike is amazing if you like a far walk and a challenge this is it! Farther up the canyon are rocky and narrow trails. Part shade and part sun. We are used to the hard, rough hikes but for beginners it will be rough getting down to the waterfall but it's well worth it.

We hiked this trail in January after the rain. The waterfall was absolutely gorgeous. There is a pretty good scramble to get down to the falls which is totally worth it. Overall, the trail is pretty easy. I did it with my infant strapped to my back in a baby carrier pack. There is not a lot of shade and it can be quite warm. Make sure to pack enough water and sunscreen. The other high point is the views of the canyon. The canyon walls are fairly steep, especially as you get towards the falls. Several of the views are quite spectacular.

The trail disappears a lot because the water has dried up completely and often looks like part of the trail-- just be warned. Not even close to my favorite LA hike.

This is a moderate canyon hike that feels a lot more secluded than it really is. The waterfall was completely dried up in August, though. I bet it looks great when there's some water running through it. However, the views of the canyon and surrounding mountains made this hike worthwhile despite the lack of water. This trail barely any shade, so if you're going on a hot day, make sure to bring a hat and lot of water.