Tecolote Canyon

Tecolote Canyon is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike and you can bring your dogs.

The last third of the trail is inaccurately depicted. You can continue to hike by the unimproved road up the right side of the canyon wall. The depicted trail on the map would require you to find a hole in the fence and walk the golf course which is located in the floor of the canyon at that point.

nice

Easy sand / gravel out and back path with steep hills at the end. Not a lot of shade with great space to bring the dog on leash.

So much fun! I went there with my friends and dog and we had a blast, so beautiful and peaceful! Wish we would have finished it, but we spent too much time taking selfies in the beginning lol!

Very short and easy with pretty terrain (except for the smelly creek that bordered the trail).

Great trail, will definitely return but a word of caution...don't take the monster hill to the right of the fork unless you are an expert hiker with professional gear, or otherwise are ready to meet your Maker! The valley back down was so steep I had to slide down on my butt just to be safe rather than sorry. Do yourself a favor and hang a left at the fork.

We live close to this trail, which is why we have been here several times. The scenery is the not the best, but the vertical hills are killer! They are great training hills for more vigorous hikes. We walked over to Tecolote Canyon once a week when we were training to hike Half Dome. Great for hill sprints! The first hill is long and a little more gradual but the remaining 6 big hills are very very steep! We can not run down them because they are so steep. You almost need treking poles to come down them if you are not careful. We really love coming here for our workouts versus just going out for a beautiful hike. It's great training on these hill and really working your glutes and your legs!

Fun hike. I really enjoyed the alternate routes that go along the main trail out.

This was one of my first nature hikes I ever did as a kid. Great for kids, not too long. Great place to start getting out in nature without leaving the city.

Nice dog walk. Thank you Serita Gates for the history. it would be great for you to post more. This must have been a really great spot way back when. I enjoy the wildflowers in spring and early summer.

This is where my family the Romo's LIVED! They were the original family in the Tecolote canyon in 1931 before the subdivisions and even before the power lines. They were ranchers and native Americans. They were called the RR {Richard Romo} Ranch. We still have our original Brand for the cattle. They ended up getting ran out of there by the city. Once mama n papa passed the city moved in and said their squatters right were no good anymore. They were given no rights to the land and no money. Three of the original children are still alive. I am their granddaughter. I just thought their story should be heard. They even attended Linda Vista High School. Walked every day up that crazy hill to school. They used an outhouse and candles. Made their own cheese and cream. Milked their cows and goats. Grew their own vegetables and lived souly off the land only. Its amazing how easily they were forgotten. But I shall share their story and maybe someone else will enjoy it as much as I do. I will add more later. Consider it an on going manifesto :) Thank you for reading and look back later for more.

The power line buzzing can be rather loud and I'm not fond of the houses being so close to the trail, and almost all fire roads...but still better than running on the roads

Great place to hammer a good run out. Great hills.

The trail is beautiful at the start, near the nature center, but once you get to the golf course and go up and down a few really step hills, it's mostly homes and roads. I turned back at the end of the gold course because it was hot today! There are lots of electricity poles and a gas pipeline in the canyon. An easy day hike/walk for when you just want to be out in nature and can't get out of town.
.....On foot?
I took the 105 bus to get there. You can catch it at Old Town or UTC. Get off on Viola and walk one block North to Tecolote and then head east. The nature center and trailhead is just past the rec area. They are open late with restrooms and a water fountain.