Wildcat Canyon Loop Trail

Wildcat Canyon Loop Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

11.1 miles 2083 feet Loop

Take Wildcat Canyon Creek Trail to Laurel Canyon Road up to Nimitz Trail.

I started at the Alvarado Park and went for few miles strenuous uphill hike: First to the Bonitas Gate Trail, then the Monte Cresta Trail, I passed the Belgum Trail and reached the San Pablo Ridge Trail. Instead of hiking up to the ridge I went below it. Coming down the hill by the Mezue Trail and turned right onto the Wildcat Creek Trail and back to the parking lot. Total distance was 6.5 miles with 1,263 ft. elevation (see my recorded track). This track was rated moderate and I did it for little over 2 hours. This track has many great views for the hills, canyon and the bay (see photos). I highly recommended.

Wildcat is a great hike with some great views and if you're doing it in the heat along with the distance maybe it should have a little more than a moderate rating.

What a fabulous hike! Great views from the ridge line. A number of mountain bikers around. It was fairly vertical in parts especially to the summit but it's worth it! One of my favorite hikes!

It's my second time here. Choose the easy trail with my 2 kids who still need to be in the stroller. My 2 yrs old walked by himself for a bit. And it's safe and fun for him to go free like a maniac. Nice shady area on the trip. Pretty easy to walk and push stroller with. Great day to spend with friends and family for a healthy activity like this.

We went during the drought and there was no shade and it was pretty dry and hot. Ill need to come back in a different climate

Great trail with amazing views

Great views, shade for the most of the trail, long but very moderate. Perfect for a Sunday morning hike.

Much of the same

Great, but a few steep sections.

I had a great hike. The weather was perfect and the view was gorgeous.

Wildcat Canyon is right in my backyard so it is easy for me to access these trails anytime I wish. What a priviledge to be able to hike one of the premire hiking spots in the Bay Area! The views from the trail are phenomenal! To the east you can view the San Pablo Reservior while to the west you can view the Skyline of San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge and Mount Tamilpias. You can also make your hike as long or as short as you like. Wildcat Canyon Trail meanders through a forested area of oak, eucalyptus and pine while Nimitz Trail takes you along the San Pablo Ridge reaching heights of nearly 1,500 ft.. The route along the Ridge can be fairly windy and sunny so bring a wind jacket and hat. Another great feature of this area is all the wildlife. Plus, all the cows grazing on the hillside. Hikers, runners, bikers, etc. will all appreciate this "gem" of the East Bay.

Been hiking this trail for 15 years. Great traffic and amazing views!

It was a hot day when I tried out Wildcat Canyon Regional Park. The loop I did was mostly unshaded. I would recommend some serious sunscreen and a good amount of H2O if you're out in the summer months doing this route. Starting at the Alvarado Staging Area begin on Wildcat Creek Trail - Mezue Trail - San Pablo Ridge Trail - Belgum Trail. This loop took me about 2 hrs and was just over 6 miles. The first trail of this route isn't anything special, it's mostly paved and pretty uninteresting. However, the rest of the loop does offer some great views. There is no fee at the entry and I was able to find parking easily.

Wildcat from Richmond is a little treasure. The entrance is on a hilltop above the town and the views, even before starting the hike, are great. Lots of dogs and my friend even had a small wedding gathering there at the picnic area.