Thunder Mountain Trail to Horseshoe Canyon Trail

Thunder Mountain Trail to Horseshoe Canyon Trail is a 16.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pioneer, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible from May until October.

One of my favorite trails that I did almost every year we camped at Silver Lake. When you get up to the ridge you have incredible views of Silver lake on one side and Kirkwood Ski area on the other. The 1st time I did it with my sons and my best friend I had the only case of altitude sickness I've ever had. The sicker I got the more my hiking mates laughed at me. i almost had to crawl to the summit. I got back at them because once I got back down a few hundred feet from the summit I felt great and I was lighter so I ran them down the mountain for a couple of miles... They stopped laughing somewhere along the way... The hike has a very good rake and is a little challenging at times and some years even in the middle of summer there was a little snow turned to ice across the trail.