Throop Peak via Dawson Gap

Throop Peak via Dawson Gap is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great 360' view, short hike, peak in the high country of the Angeles This is a short, sweet and simple hike. For many people it can take less than 45 minutes to reach the top. It isn't the easiest of hikes, but, for anyone used to hiking who is in good condition, this hike is incredibly manageable. There is a plaque, a peak register, and a great 360' view from the top. Plus, the back peaks in the Angeles Forest are some of the best hiking country in Southern California.

beautiful 360° views when you're in a time crunch

Windy at the top, but compared to the heat in the LA basin it ws a welcome relief. Short hike, but the altitude took more out of me than expected. Needed this hike to aclimate so I can hit the big peak hikes later in the yr. Awesome views! 7.70

Great hike beginning has a few switch backs but short lived. Lots of shade trees. Great 360 view at the top,

Beautiful, moderately easy trail. Only a very few switchbacks right from the trailhead, and after that you just contour along the ridgeline towards the junction with the PCT. Follow the trail to the right, and then immediately to the right again to get on the short .2 mile use trail to the summit of Throop Peak.

Finally, I was able to get to the Throop Peak on April 26, 2014. This time I had a friend with me. There were lots of cloud which blocked my 360 degree view! This is a great trail for me which let me felt the thin air.

I failed again today (4/5/2014). I tried to follow the track of AllTrail and after trying for about an hour, I was about to come back. I met a nice person at the parking of Dawson Saddle. With help of his paper map and a hiking booklet, I realized trailhead was east side of the parking and AllTrail posted trail was at the west, which probably is a climbing route. I tried this trail mostly to reach above 9k feet. but I had to descend after reaching little more than 8600'. Not sure if it was altitude sickness, or the cold weather (I was really not prepared for this bitter cold and wind), I was not feeling well. I will try this trail again!

I wanted to hike this trail today (3/29/2014). I started from Dawson Saddle but had very hard time to find the trail. After 20 minutes of try, I figured that I was on the trail but trail was covered with ice! I made few attempts to follow the trail. I think, my hiking boot was not safe enough, so I turned back. I will try this trail again after get crampons.

I love this trail. So many options once you get up to the ridge. Perfect for escaping the heat of the valleys,mid summer and kind of chilly in the shade!! Gotta love it!

Hiked this trail for the first time last month with my two Weims...loved it, incredible 360 views at the top. Missed the turn to the top and extended the hike a bit, but I also ended up going to another peak so it was ok. A 4 star rating because of the views and the light traffic.

Very nice hike - a bit steep for the first 1/4 of a mile or so, then just a steady uphill climb the rest of the way to the Throop Peak. Great views, lots of shade. Very enjoyable hike.

Great, quick hike to get 360 degree views! Barely saw anybody on the trail. If we had more time, we would have loved to do the other peaks nearby. Worth the trip! Seems slightly harder than it really is because of altitude.