Three T's Trail via Icehouse Canyon

Three T's Trail via Icehouse Canyon is a 15.2 mile loop trail located near Mt Baldy, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A long, scenic loop from Icehouse Canyon to the Three T's Trail covering Timber Mtn, Telegraph Peak, and Thunder Mtn. Icehouse Canyon, nestled among cedar and pine, is a popular spot for casual hikers to enjoy alpine scenery and a year round stream. It is also served to more experienced hikers as a gateway to peaks in the Cucamonga Wilderness including the Three T’s Trail which summits Timber, Telegraph, and Thunder Mountains. From Icehouse trailhead, it is 3.6 miles to Icehouse Saddle, and an additional 5.6 miles to summit the three peaks to Baldy Notch. From Baldy Notch, you can walk down the access road or take the chairlift down during hours of operation. After reaching the base of Mt. Baldy (Manker Flat), the last 2.5 miles is paved back to the trailhead. This trip is a 14 mile loop, total. Another option is to backtrack the Three T's Trail after reaching Thunder Mtn. Getting to Icehouse Saddle is good exercise, but the Three T's Trail is strenuous. A lot of uphill and downhill hiking is required to pass over the prominences. The tallest is Telegraph Peak, at 8,985 ft.

Not sure what to give this review. I give 5-stars for the workout but there are serious issues that would prevent me from doing this trail again. After timber mountain the trail was extremely dangerous. It was only about a foot wide for long stretches forcing me to go much slower than normal, and stopping was also dangerous as it was very steep and extremely windy in areas. The main problem I had was that at one point during the trail, I absolutely could not find the extension to the other part of the trail. I ended up going longer than the trail extended and found myself on the edge of the mountains in slippery terrain. It was not fun. I had to backtrack several times, and actually what saved me was the gps I had downloaded from this site. It helped me get back on track and keep going.

Did a good loop hike of the Three T's Trail. Started in Icehouse Canyon, then up to Icehouse Saddle, hit the 3 T's peaks, down to Baldy Notch, then Manker Flats, then a short stretch on Mt Baldy Road back to Icehouse Canyon. About 17 miles total. Very fun hike and decent prep for Whitney. I have full hike directions for the Three T's Trail hike on my blog. Check it out. HikingGuy.com

I did the trail the icehouse. I wasn't nice weather and really hard trail. A perfect day.

Phew! Did this as an out and back. Clocked in on my gps at 6745 elevation gain over 16.4 miles. This was in basecamp, when uploaded to alltrails the numbers change for some reason. Great and very tough hike. Go early and bring water. The only consistent water is in the very beginning of the hike from Icehouse canyon.

Great trail one way from Baldy Notch to Ice House Canyon Trail Head. No campfires in the Wilderness please!

great work out and not heavily traveled. Really liked this hike.

Peaking the Three Ts. Took the Mount Baldy lifts to peak Thunder, Telegraph and Timber Mountains then back down Ice House Canyon. It was a gorgeous day started out about 50 degrees at 6:30 am but as we reached the top of the chair lifts the sun warmed you quickly. This is not a beginners hike and the trail is very steep at some points and single track. You will start to feel the elevation as soon as you get off the chair lift. and that can certainly slow you down. Saw a few deer along the way and a snakes. Trails were not very populated considering it was a weekend. We passed maybe 8-9 people except for the decent on Ice House. That was populated. Make sure to sign in at each peak in the metal box. Each one makes you feel like you have a new accomplishment.

This is no easy hike, kicked my ass and would use it again to train for Whitney.

Pros: solitude, beautiful views, hard workout, 3 peaks, good with friends and for trail runners

Cons: temperature swings going from shadows to sun, long days hike, long lasting ice on the trail, 2 cars to start and finish, HARD-HARD-HARD not for first timers

My dad, 2 friends, and myself hiked this from ice house canyon to the baldy ski lift. You park one car in each area, $5 for day use wilderness pass, and $5 for baldy parking lot.

This hike frankly Beat us up! I think the first part to icehouse was the hardest part though.

From the the top of the canyon you come up on an intersection of trails, stay left for 3 T's, and follow it up the land bridges mountain after mountain until you end at the baldy ski resort.

Stay on the right ski trail once at Baldy resort, (the Last of the 3 T's) and it takes you down to the lifts which only work Fri-Sun! So pay those days to take the 15min lift back down to your car, or hike Mt. Baldy and come down the back trail by the Sierra Club Ski Hut, or take the fire road down to your car from baldy resort.

Loved/hated it, would do it again cause I'm crazy.

I met 2 friends at 730am on Sunday at the Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts. They parked right below the lot so they wouldn't have to pay the $5 to park. I then drove the 3 of us back to the Icehouse Canyon parking lot. If you don't do a car shuttle it would be an 8 mile walk between the two or you would have to catch a ride with a stranger. A massive rain storm had come through the area in August so the Icehouse trail was a bit different in sections, a lot more boulders. At the saddle we had a snack, then headed onto the Three T's trail. The three T's include Timber, Telegraph, and Thunder. Timber is 0.25 miles off the main trail and is at 4.45 miles at an elevation of 8319ft. At 6.85 miles you reach an unnamed peak we mistook for Telegraph at 8898ft. At 7.25 miles you get to Telegraph peak at 8982ft, it is also 0.25miles off the main trail. You then head down to the last peak, Thunder, at 8540ft. Then you head down a ski lift trail to the Baldy Notch where we took a chair lift down for $12 (only operates Fri-Sun during the summer). We took a route labeled easy for the skiers. Dave and I felt a fourth "T" could have been added in place of the unnamed peak. The trail was a bit overgrown, but not much; however, I would advise wearing pants. The views are magnificent after the saddle. I love this trail, I would definitely do it again. It is a great training hike for the Sierras with its high elevation and 5000ft elevation gain!!

I hiked this trail with a meet up group that just let me tag along. It was great fun. We bagged Timber and Telegraph peaks along the way. The trail was clear and beautiful. Icehouse was its usual uphill workout. I also enjoy the up and down workout going out to the three tees portion of the trail.

Today I hiked this trail with a meet up group. The goal was Telegraph Peak. After Timber Peak microspikes were definitely needed. There was a lot of ice and snow on this slope. Then there was a long stretch where it was very dry on the trail. The peak was awesome and warm when we got to the top. However on the way it was necessary to wear a beany and the wind was 25-40mph. This peak had wonderful views and all the slopes around were covered in snow!

It was a glorious day. Did not meet anyone on the trail today....Very peaceful. The weather was perfect. Not too warm. The trail still had a couple of icy patches but easy to get around. The views were spectacular. Saw a hawke.

This is a great trail. There was snow in the mountains and the trail was mostly clear of ice and snow. Some patches so be careful. I lovethis hike in the winter. The cucamonga trail is already icy so this is a great up and down alternative. The trail is a challenge and longer. It is 4mi to the end so 15mi out and back. I combined this with Icehouse Saddle trail

Good workout. Trail on the Icehouse Canyon side of Telegraph Hill a little daunting (not elevation change but narrowness of trail). Great as it is not an up and down hike. Relatively shaded. Did the final Thunder Mountain part (to the ski lift). The climb back up this side of Telegraph Hill is easier than from the Timber Mountain side.

Three T's trail is a great workout with lots of ups and downs. It starts and the Icehouse Canyon Trailhead and meanders along a scenic stream with waterfalls and aspen trees. For some reason this part of the trail can be much cooler in the fall and winter months while the rest of the trail could be comfortable. There seems to be a constant breeze blowing and could give you a real chill in the colder months. However, two days ago when I did this trail it was quite warm and of course hot and sunny on the way down. From the saddle there is a junction that leads to various trails and one is the Three T's trail. It starts out as a steep ascent up the hillside and turns into switch backs. From Timber peak there is a descent....don't forget about it because it is a steep ascent on the way back when you are tired.Then there begins another set of switchbacks up to Telegraph peak (down on the way out) and then another set of switch backs down to thunder mountain....which are very steep yet again on the way out. I guess that's why I like this trail.. There is a lot of up and down....no rest for the weary.....Down all the way from Timber mountain to the car on the way out!!

This was a very difficult trail, mostly because of the heat. It was in the high 60s when we started up the mountain, but in the low 80s at the trailhead. This made for very slow-going for us. As we were using this hike as a training for Whitney, the adults in our group were wearing 30-lb packs. We each carried 3.5 - 5 L water, but still had to fill up at Columbine Spring (the last chance for water). We didn't filter, though it's recommended. We ended up dropping our packs at the Saddle, summitting Timber Peak, and going back the way we came. With all our stopping to rest, lunch, and trip up the peak, we took almost 7 hours going up, and 1.75 hrs going down!

This trail was like a highway - I don't know if it's always like that, or if it was just because it was Enjoy Your Public Lands Day (or whatever it's called - no Adventure Passes were required), but we saw easily over 100 people on this trail. Most were very pleasant and adhered to the hiker etiquette of yielding to the uphill hiker, which was very important on the single-track trail switchbacks above the canyon!

The trail is lovely, winding along the creek through Icehouse Canyon for the first mile or so, then it crosses into a side of the canyon away from the water that's more exposed and has lots of stepping over rocks & roots. The scenery is amazing, though - we passed fascinating rocks that looked like petrified trees, and the growing view down-valley was gorgeous. There are a lot of lizards on this trail, but surprisingly few birds. We did encounter one rattler lying on the trail on the way back. He cruised away after we rolled some rocks toward him. On the way back through the creek-lined trail at dusk, the gnats were awful.

We had set up a car shuttle, leaving one vehicle in the ski lift parking lot, since we planned to take the lift down from the Notch. That wasn't necessary, since we went back the way we came, but would have been handy if we'd done all 3 Tees instead of just one!

We stumbled into the Mt Baldy Lodge for dinner after our dusty, grueling hike. Plain food & lots of it - perfect hiker fare. The guy playing covers of Eagles & Journey did a great job.

All in all, we enjoyed our hike, but would probably aim for summitting Baldy next time, as the altitude on this hike wasn't quite what we were looking for to prepare for Whitney.

This trail was INSANE. This review is for a trip I did in mid October. My friend and I both brought our cars up to this one. We parked one at Manker Flats and the other at Ice House Canyon. We started at Ice House Canyon through the trail up to the Ice House Saddle. Let me say.., It was FREEZING and very windy. The first part of the hike was not so bad. Timber mountain was easy to get to. Since there isn't many reviews on this hike we kinda went into this hike with no info. Luckily we ran into some fellow hikers and at timber mountain they explained we needed to go up the moutain to the right for the peak. After hitting the first peak you must come back down the same way you went up and turn and follow the trail to the right. You will start descending on the opposite side of the mountain. Now let me tell you Telegraph Mountain was painful. Killer switchbacks and it felt never ending. At the top, it is all worth it though. That mountain took some time to tackle. We took many breaks because it was strenous and exhausting. The third mountain was pretty much a piece of cake. On the way down from the third mountain we ended up getting lost and we somehow ended up on the fire road. We took the fire road all the ways down to Manker Flats. This hike has amazing views and its worth the pain. You can say you hit three peaks in one day! Bragging rights for life. Try it out one day. But figure it out with two cars because after that third mountain you won't want to go back and climb two mountains again to get home!

awesome trail. after the first peak the next 2 miles to telegraph peak is switchback hell. ended up hiking all the way to my. baldy notch which was less than 1.5 miles away and hiking the last 4 miles down to the parking lot.