The Riser to Kaiser

The Riser to Kaiser is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is definitely not a beginner hike due to the majority of the trail being uphill. I did this hike on Black Friday Nov 25th 2016. There was snow on more than half of the trail and the high was 38 degrees. It took me a little over 4 hours to get to the top and about 3 hours to descend. I am a beginner, but I was also determined. I'd recommend starting at dawn or doing an overnight somewhere on the loop. Part of my hustle back and forth was I did this solo and I did not want to be on the trail after dark. Started at 9:30am and got back to my vehicle just a few meters from the trailhead at 5:20pm... I'm ready to do this hike again but probably in the spring or summer.

The majority of this hike is uphill.
It's pretty strenuous once you get closer to the peak.
Make sure you carry a lot of water and snacks or lunch.
The hike starts up hill and pretty much inclines the way up. There are some flat parts however not many.
I would recommend if you are ready for an all day hike to do this. This took us about 6 1/2 hours and we did jog certain portions down the hill and took a few short cuts.
The view was definitely worth it!

It was a great challenge on the way up. I needed every drop of water that I brought. After hiking 6 miles up to the top of Kaiser Peak we were stunned by the amazing view and how far we could see. There was great visibility that day. We saw the backside of Yosemite to the north. We were surrounded by lakes. Edison and bass lake were visible and obviously Huntington lake. There were many unnamed lakes as well. To the west we could see the coastal range and I'm certain that far in the distance to the east was Mt Whitney. Round trip was 12 miles which is little longer than this all trails app shows so I think if you want to get to the top be prepared to go a little further!

Great - vertical was tough. but not super steep. View at peak was very good. Did Kaiser peak to Nellie Lake Trail and came back to lake at Billy Creek. 14 miles. Beautiful high meadows on the way to junction to Nellie Lake and beautiful high country to Kaiser Peak. Trail was good. snow has melted now. Only a couple spots where there is snow on the trail.

It was good, however was lost 60% of the time do to bad marking, so we did a little rock climbing for sure. Snow was still heavy up there, but we made it back on track. Beautiful views on the way up!

Attempted this trail with my dog today. We got about halfway up before losing the trail due to snow coverage. A little disappointed because the hike had been great up until then. Lots of awesome views. Definitely planning to come back when the snow melts this summer.

Parking right before the stables of D&F Packing station, trail starts behind the stables. Amazing hike! Easy to follow, well kept trail, full of switch backs and beautiful views overlooking Huntington Lake and then Edison Lake and the Sierras once you make it to the top. Did this trail end of September, perfect weather, cool at the top. The elevation (10,320 feet at the peak) started to get to me towards the end, but pushed through. Parts are strenuous, but a mix of flat and steep. Only passed 2 other people on the trail, but can tell its used with the horses.

Awesome views!

Incredible hike with an amazing panoramic view at the top. Great workout as well. It's pretty much uphill all the way, but the climb is well worth the views.

Great hike. Did it in mid June with my dad and my brother. We wanted to catch the sunrise over the Sierras, so we started hiking at 1:30 AM. There was some snow still on the ground, and at one point the trail actually turned into a small river from the snow melt, but we managed to eventually find the trail after some searching in the dark. We made it to the top at around 5, just as some light started to creep across the sky, and watched the sunrise for about an hour on the peak. We hit College Rock on the way back down, which offered an excellent view of Huntington Lake. Of course, coming down with the light was a lot easier than going up in the dark, but the view at the top was very worth it.

Just did this hike yesterday (April 19, 2014). There were snowy conditions above 9000ft but still crazy to think this could be summited in Mid-April. The trail was covered in spots with thicker tree coverage but luckily its pretty easy to figure out the direction you should be headed. The upper ridge had some amazing views of Edison lake and the higher sierras to the east.

This was a great hike that I did with my wife and daughter. I carried my daughter on my back, and we did this right before climbing Whitney. Great views, take plenty of water and snacks. About 7.5 hrs total with breaks and eating.

Easy hike really, went with my daughter Aug 14th. There were fires to the north so we watched those for a while and then hiked back. Quick in and out about 6 hrs with about 1.5 to 2 hrs of watching.

Strenuous on the way up, the return trip is much easier. I didn't read that part about "recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen."

This is a realy good workout. On the way to the top you get several nice views of huntington lake once at the top you get a nice view of another lake far off in the distence as well as three little ones right below you on the backside of Kaiser Peak.