The Needles Trail

The Needles Trail is a 9.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Quaking Aspen: Travel south to FS 21S05 then travel west to the trailhead.

beautiful views and amazing trip for a family outing.

I loved this trail amazing views I nicknamed it "Stairway to Heaven". Take plenty of water there is no resources on the trail and most definitely some form of big repellent they will eat you alive. I have been hiking a lot and by far this was one of my favorites.

Easy 5ish mile hike.

Dirt road to trailhead June 2016 - good condition, my Prius did fine.

Trail itself was great, gorgeous views once you get to the staircases mentioned by others. Will visit again!

fun trail that leads to a great view

Gorgeous views but the stairs are not for the weak at heart or stomach. If you fear heights be cautious as you climb the not so well kept stair case as you may find yourself panicking half way through your stairway to heaven. Views are impressive but the lack of a kept staircase earns this hike a 4 star rating. As a side note i have looked into if the staircase and lookout will be rebuilt and there is currently money being raised to rebuild the lookout. This project is supposed to take place in 2015 depending on funds. Currently i read they are at 30k out of 50k needed to rebuild

Just hiked this about a day ago and the view is gorgous! Unfortunately, the lookout burned down recently and so you can only walk the sketchy stairs up to the notorious last step and look out over the canyon. Overall though, it was a great hike! If you are hiking close to sun set, make sure to bundle up or the wind will really give you a chill.

Enjoyed this hike to get out of the valley heat! Those stairs are sketchy but nice views!

This is one of my favorite California excursions. I wish the tower was back, I miss Margie and her cookies. I have climbed the rock face of this tower many times, using the trail for access. One of the gems of the Southern Sierra. Great views, great hike.

This was a great hike I did with my wife and 1 year old. We did it as a trail to train before climbing Mt. Whitney. It was easy enough with great views! The lookout and last bit of stairs are gone due to a fire, but it is still worth the climb!

This is a short ( about 2 miles one-way ) hike but the views are great. The lookout tower is not there anymore due to a fire.

More of an adventure than a hike. When I went the lookout tower still stood. I have some good photos. Incredible views!

Just hiked this trail for the first time a few days ago and the staircase to the outlook was fully open. The outlook was gone,(due to fire) but still unbelievable views and a scary staircase to get the blood pumping even more than the hike.