The Goat Trails

The Goat Trails is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Springs, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The primary trailhead affords ample parking for as many as 35 vehicles, and an adjacent shopping center allows for spillover parking. The Goat Trails are surrounded by many adjacent and connecting trails, including Araby, Garstin, Berns, Wildhorse, Clara Burgess, and Dunn Road. The trails allow access to Bob Hope Overlook, Murray Peak, Cathedral Cove, and the Dunn Road route to Santa Rosa Mountain. The primary access is a fairly steep double-track ramp up about 700 feet, which broadly circles a pair of water supply tanks. At the water tanks, you can see the first of a large network of single-track trails; this first trail shortens the ramp through a steeper climb up the hill. At the top of this first hill the double-track splits to half-circuit First Accomplishment Hill (829 ft) and meet at the opposite side. From that meeting, the double-track ascends a hill that reaches Promontory #1, which overlooks most of the western Coachella Valley. About 2 miles southwest, the double-track reaches the Stone Man trail marker and a T-intersection. A double-track to the right heads toward Bob Hope Overlook and other trail systems. A double-track to the left heads toward Secret Palms Wash, the head to Clara Burgess Trail, and hills overlooking Cathedral Cove.

I have enjoyed biking in this mixture of double- and single-track trails for over 15 years.

I am writing a proposal to the Trails Management Subcommittee of the Coachella Valley Association of Governments, which advocates for authorizing the use of the Goat Trails. One private owner, a corporation, is based in Chicago Illinois. I have sent a letter of inquiry to them, requesting their assistance in allowing access by hikers and bikers. I have also contacted the Palm Springs planning department to authorize access and trail management activities for the portion of the Goat Trails that are in the city's "Palm Hills subdivision." Another owner is the Bureau of Land Management (the southwestern 2/3 of the trail), who has deferred to the Trails Management Subcommittee and is unofficially supportive of open access to the trails for hiking and mountain biking. A very small portion of the trail system may cross tribal land, owned by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians—however, a land survey would need to be conducted to ascertain the exact location of the tribal land, which is adjacent to the privately-owned (corporate) land.

I have also organized an informal club on Strava, the Goat Trails Maintenance Team to perform trash pickup and some minor earth moving to prevent rutting and ravining from runoff. Once the proposal is accepted, the club will be involved in making the existing trails sustainable.

Please visit and join the club if you have interest in using the trails frequently. (https://www.strava.com/clubs/Goat-Trails-Maintenance)

luv this trail. do it 5 days a week. great workout.

Good hike and work out, nice views, dog friendly

very challenging but wide trail hike great scenery when you reach higher elevation great views of the valley. it was not a marked trail head but its behind Vons gas station easy parking right at the gate. when you get to the end of the trail there are so many options to continue on. you can be there for days. this and bump and grind are my favorites.

We took a short hike up the trail above the water towers. Not sure why it says [closed], there was a steady stream of walkers, and no transients.

awesome Trail

Didn't enjoy The Goat Trails. Almost from the start of my hike there were multiple homeless tweekers milling around, high on meth, yelling and making inane comments to each other and the women hikers. I even was followed for awhile which really scared me because I'm an older female who hikes alone. I had heard that many homeless druggies hang around on this trail system and it proved to be true....at least it was the day I was there. And I just wasn't inspired by these trails. I didn't like the layout; the system from the start seemed disjointed to me. But it is a marginally popular trail system, so to each his or her own as they say.

Not for beginners, your either going up or down and we're talking up to 19 degrees inclines and declines..

So if you follow my track you will see that i went into an interesting canyon and then came out. The exit point of my hike was a problem, I had to jump a fence as this was on Indian land so I would recommend returning to the start point instead of trying my exit point. pictures are included in my track , good views of the valley. not a difficult hike.

I entered from Gene Autry and hwy 111. It's mostly uphill for the first mile or so. I found it to be to strenuous to pedal and found myself mostly pushing my bike. There are beautiful views however and the downhill single tracks are a lot of fun until you hit another steep incline.

My adventure ended up at Desert Regional Medical Center. A passing hiker saw I was unconscious and bleeding out. Be careful on the downhills!

awesome ride I recommend this if you have a good bike and it's in the cooler weather

I went on this hike with a friend this morning. This hike is all up hill if you go straight back avoiding loops. It's not hard to get lost the trail is well marked. There is a cool man made out of rocks to see. The views are nice. Knocking down a star because you might see a nude guy hiking and he is not shy

The Goat Trails is a system of single-track spurs that lead off a fairly long double-track trail that rises from the Rimrock shopping center (Gene Autrey Trail at Highway 111). (The gate is always closed, but easily bypassed on foot or by bike.) A few other hiking trails rise to the Goat Trails from other locations, including near Southridge Drive and off Cherokee Way. The trails are popular with both hikers and cyclists. The trails are also connected to several other established hiking trails, including Araby, Garstin, Burgess, and (further) Dunn Road.

After several years of riding, several of the single-track are yet to be explored. Other bikers and the hikers, too, are friendly. For the most part, the area is well covered for cell phone use.

The Goat Trails are also the end section of the Palm Canyon Epic (http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm).

For those who port their mountain bike to a location, there is ample parking at the east end of Rimrock Plaza. Though the parking is not patrolled, there is only very infrequent theft or vandalism.

This trail could be a lot better if it did not have the homeless activity. They live all around the trail and leave trash. This trail seems not to be an official trail. It is not maintained by the city or any organization. I felt like I was trespassing. I did like hiking up the canyon.

Never found a trail only a gate!!

very nice trail